Re: phantom painting

> Just scored off eBay a Revel 1/144 F-4 Phantom. Minor catch: doesn't > come with instruction sheet. I can figure out how all the parts should > stick together (there aren't many), can also tell where decals should go > from box art but I'm no paint expert and without the instructions I > don't know what colors to use. What browns and greens am I supposed to > use for a Phantom camoflaged in those colors > Either Tamiya or Humbrol references will do. In fact if you know where I > can find a table with equivalents that'll be really great.

Hah... I looked into that some time ago, when I had the Tamiya's F-4C/D on the workbench. Tamiya's instructions gave only TS references (their acrylic lacquer spraycans range) and I haven't been able to find suitable references in their X/XF paints. I ended up with scrapping most of the paint and going the Humbrol+Lifecolor way, the Lifecolors being IMHO the closest. BTW, Lifecolor is a real SOB to thin ans spray correctly - do spray a matt primer first, or the paint will peel.

Anyway, here's what I came to:

Tan FS30219: Lifecolor UA015, Gunze H310, Humbrol 118, XF-52 is the closest but not quite Medium green FS34102: Gunze H303, Humbrol 117, XF-?? Dark green FS34079: Lifecolor UA091, Gunze H309, Humbrol 116, XF-?? Light grey FS36622: Lifecolor UA021, Gunze H311, Humbrol 28, XF-19+X-2

1:1
Reply to
Serge D. Grun

How did the kit come out ? I am just really getting into the

1/32 F 15C, and am adding a Black Box cockpit to it. I actually lost the original inst panel (how can one lose 1/32 parts?) and got the BB cockpit to finish the kit. I have since found the original inst panel. (onward Christian soldiers )

Meanwhile.... I am planning on the 1/32 F 4 C/D at some point soon, and was wondering your thoughts on it. (as I fight to finish a pair of 1/32 109, and 190 kit's)

Reply to
AM

I'm suspecting that the F-4 is much easier to assemble than the F-15. It's quite well though out. I found no major fit problems. You get an one-piece upper and lower fuselage, so it eliminates most of the seam sanding work. The only "problem" was that the lower fuselage is about .5mm shorter thant the upper, and I made the mistake of adjusting it starting at the rear. This resulted in a visible gap just behind the bottom of the nose piece that had to be filled with styrene card.

I assembled it almost OOB, with only some PE from Eduard in the cockpit, mainly on the canopy parts, and the odd lead wire here and there on the landing gear. I originally planned to replace the seats with a pair of Verlinden's Martin-Bakers (set 1115), but their stuff is even cruder than the original parts, so I just slapped the belts from the Eduard PE on the kit parts and I replaced the ejection handles with thinner bits of wire. The kit comes with vinyl tires - nice, but a real PITA to weather. If I had to assemble one today, I'd probably get some decent resin wheels (a Phantom jockey can confirm that the Army used low pressure tires ?)...

I'd be hard-pressed to comment on the accuracy of the kit. Size appears ok, though, the only thing that puzzles me is that Tamiya slapped a dozen of raised panels on the fuselage and I don't see these on my reference photos, so I just sanded them to half their original thickness. The longitudinal panel lines on the stabilator should be slightly converging, not parallel, and if I wanted to be picky, I'd say that Tamiya failed to capture correctly the slight bulge of the wingtip light fairings. But then, I'd rather enjoy building a kit than argue over the placement of some rivet heads. This one was much fun to assemble and hey, it even looks like a Phantom...

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Thanx for the heads up.

And yeah, I have the Verlindin full cockpit set, with full radar antenna and bay...... (for the F4 C/D kit)

But it is going to be interesting to see how well I'm going to be able to pull off filling and sanding the intake trunk inside seams ! Been working on them, should be able to make them seamless with a few more hours of effort :)

Reply to
AM

Some seamless resin ones are available from Cutting Edge for the F-15C/E (CE32141) if you'd rather go that route. And I thought they made some for F4s too but I can only find them in 1/48.

Here's a handy list for the resin and etch addicted:

Rufus

Can someone steer this Gentleman to a source for "seamless suckers"?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Serge D. Grun

Ahhh....there's the 1/32 F4 ones I was thinking of...

I've also heard tell you can get them from CRM Hobbies in St. Louis:

Yup - there they are...$20 for either Tamiya or Revell.

Reply to
Rufus

IIRC, the gossip at the time was that Tamiya had measured an old instructional airframe for the kit, and the raised panels were 'damage repair' practice applied by trainee 'framies'. So, for the airframe actually used as a prototype, the raised bits are correct... (c:

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

1/2" thick repair panels ? Must have been a "How To Repair An Aircraft With A Sledgehammer" training...

BTW, can someone confirm if their other kits (F-4J, F-4E) still have these raised panels or not ? Thx.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Thanx for the heads up !!!

Although I dont know how thankfull my wallett will be later......

Reply to
AM

Rob, I suspect the BDR theory was invented by a wanna be helpful but clueless reviewer at the time the kit was released. Clueless in the sense that he's never seen a BDR airframe in his life, and also the realities of sheet metal airframe patching. Having said that I've only seen RAF ones - maybe the US have bespoke re-panelling workshops, and they make'em an inch thick to be hardwearing ;) I think it's just one of those mysteries, like the thick raised armour plate on the Tamiya F-14 cockpit sides. From what I can recall of reviews of the later F-4E, it still has the raised patches so I guess the same is true for the 'J' too. Why do they do it?

Chek

Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly

Reply to
Chek

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

All of the Tamiya F-4 kits use the same fuselage and intakes, so the raised panels are there in every one of them.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Reply to