Real men refuse to stop for directions!!!

Hey all!

Weird question for you, round about twenty years or so ago I realized that virtually every F-16 kit and F-4 kit would be split the same way in the same places. At that point, I think that i stopped every building a Falcon or a Phantom with directions.

Now, I've found that I rarely if ever consult the manufacturers directions, leave alone ac- tually FOLLOWING them!

So, out of curiosity, how many of you folks out there in cyberland build models a) by fol- lowing directions, or b) even consulting the directions?

I'll go first, in the last five kits I've build I followed the directions 0 times and consult- ed them ten times.

Just curious! :)

-ahill

Reply to
hill4448

Not only do I refer to the instruction, but usually scan them and blow them up as my eyes aren't what they once were. I also (lately) go online and check out any reviews about the model in question that I can find. Case in point, recently I started the antique Heller Morane 230. Their instructions suck, period. After several attempts, I blew up their instructions and saw how the landing gear/wing struts were ~supposed~ to be attached (as opposed to the way I was headed) and a quick check of a review suggested mounting several parts in a different sequence to make life a bit easier.

Reply to
The Old Man

It's axiomatic: "When all else fails, read the instructions..." Actually, it's useful to read kit reviews as these sometimes mention errors in the instructions. Otherwise it's useful to give the instructions a once-over first as nowadays most kits contain several options, and unless you're really familiar with the subject this is important. It's a while since I've actually had time to build anything, and as the process became more drawn out and fragmented I took to photocopying the instructions, ticking off what I've done and options used, and adding notes where I've modified stuff - especially where it affects later stages of construction. But I don't feel obliged to slavishly follow assembly sequences, particularly where I'm leaving out stuff that won't be seen after completion.

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Reply to
eyeball

YOU WHAT??? AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A MODELLER?? sheesh, I dunno...

:)

RobG (The Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

I usually refer to the directions after I find that I cannot complete an assembly the way I was doing it, and find I should have done it another way :-( You know-"oh, that should have gone in BEFORE I glued the fuselage sides together."

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I detail all interiors with scratch built panels, wires, and crew. I then seal it all up with the outer shell. When people compliment me on my model, I say, "You oughta see the inside" :-)

Reply to
willshak

ah, the john waters shiny, shiny shoes.

Reply to
someone

I was trying to start 2 1/35 plaster building kits from Verlinden, etc.... Never could figure out why they never offer even a basic instruction sheet. You get one picture on the cover of the box and that is it. I have one kit that has over 8 pieces that do not show in the pic - I have no idea where they should go. 3 different stairways, which one is the correct one for each doorway? You guess, I guess.....

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Yeah, I know that routine, I've followed that trail a time or two. It's taught me to check over the sheet(s) before I start. It does not follow that I slavishly stick things together in the prescribed order. Sometimes I re-arrange assembly to fit my wants and needs.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I'll follow directions, but not necessarily in their order. Leave putting tracks together on armored last. might do turret and body before wheels. stuff like that.

Usually don't bother with interior if its not visible. Though did see a nebbish guy running around at one of the IPMS nationals with a dentist mirror, head lamp on. Wasn't a judge.

I'm reminded of one set of US templates that had a few that said if you're close enough to read this, you're too close.

Reply to
frank

I do at least read, and memorize the directions than start. Does not mean I follow their assembly sequence, but I do like to have an idea what part is what.

Airplane kit's are easy to not follow directions, but AFV's have that whole one for the right and one for the left side deal going, with only subtle differences between the parts.

You go ahead and build the Dragon 3 N 1 Tiger with 1186 parts and not follow the directions..... lol.....

Reply to
AM

Nope, not for years - now I'm just a kit assembler - and a damn lazy one at that... Try assembling an army of GW plastic wargame figures, you start leaving off stuff that CAN be seen - that way you don't have to paint it. :)

Happy New Year

Reply to
Moramarth

Possibly one reason why I've bought all four of the Hobby Boss 1:48th T34 kits but have yet to assemble one - why can't they just mould them in clear plastic?

Reply to
Moramarth

I don't do anything that can't be seen after assembly and regard the last coat of paint as that which hides all errors. I also dislike any models that are more complicated than necessary - example is a Hasegawa Typhoon Mk1B just completed. Far too many trivial sub-assemblies, like 8 rockets and rails at 4 bits each when they could/should have been moulded one for each rocket and one for each rail. I did not bother to insert the rudder pedals as they can't be seen with canopy shut. All my models are built like that to keep dust out. 22 decals to represent the underwing black and white stripes almost had me using the part completed model for CO2 pistol target practice. I want to build models that satisfy me, not ones that cause frustration and irritation at unreal levels of complexity.

Tony Chch NZ

Reply to
Stadia

If they did that, somebody would try to describe it as a "stealth" tank.......

Reply to
The Old Man

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote the following:

It depends on the model being built. 1/72 airplanes have few parts and almost all parts are recognizable. the same goes for model cars.When it comes to armor, field guns, or ships, the parts may not be recognizable as much, so the instructions are needed. Also, decal placement and paint colors may require that the instructions be consulted. Me, I almost always read the instructions and keep them displayed and open to the steps I am working on, even though I have been building models for about 60 years..

Reply to
willshak

i use the directions, my lucky glue tip and many test fits.

Reply to
someone

I love this guy !!! Yeah!!! when you figure, at least in my case, that if my family sees a model plane with wings on both sides, its just fine. that's my standard these days.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Nobody notices the biplane with one upper and one lower, do they?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller