RF-80 Shooting Star in 1/72?

It doesn't seems to exist any RF-80 Shooting Star (the reconnaissance version) kit in 1/72 scale. Does someone know if the parts in the Heller RF-33/T-33 kit can be used to convert an Airfix F-80 to an RF-80?

Per-Olov

Reply to
Per-Olov Karlsson

Yes. The Heller nose is an almost perfect fit.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

FWIW, the Airfix kit is extremely accurate for shape (I have an original wind-tunnel model in 1/72 of the early P-80; the Airfix is right on in comparison). The implication is that the Heller kit's nose, to fit so well, must also come from a kit accurate at least as to the forward fuselage.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Thanks for your replies! I think I will try the nose from the Heller kit. It's a pity that Airfix didn't choose the "two noses" alternative for the F-80 Shooting Star, as they did for their F2H-2 Banshee. (Released some years after the F-80, if I remember correctly).

Per-Olov

Reply to
Per-Olov Karlsson

How about another old model incarnation of this family: the Hasegawa T-33? Is that one better or worse than the Heller T-33? It appears both are out of production at the moment, at least I couldn't find a T-33 in Hannants' catalog.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Hillerøe Petersen

=========================================================== FWIW, I've built both and my recommendation would be the Heller. Frank

Reply to
Frank McCurdy

Just won one of these kits in my club raffle (Hasegawa T-33A), interesting kit, but I doubt I'll ever touch it. Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

It's a decent model but not as detailed as Heller's.

Reply to
Al Superczynski