Ronald Reagan-the greatest President of the 20th Century!

I scoffed at Carter before his election and during his entire presidency. I still do. He's what Stalin used to refer to as a 'useful idiot'.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

You mean for instance the deal he cut with the North Koreans over their nuclear program? Like the other poster said, Neville Chamberlain.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

"Royabulgaf" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com...

"blacksploitation"

It is a possibility. Another possibility is a borne down upon the lee shore half-left winger who is taken care of and eventually will be 'saved' by the bible and a few pseudo-wise one-liners from a fatherly figure. Just like in the old moralizing B-movies.

Reply to
Bassie Adriaensen

Is there room on Mt Rushmore for one more?

If so, I would nominate Ronald Reagan as # 5.

Reply to
West Coast Engineering

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com, KLawr63125 at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 6/5/04 9:21 PM:

I usually don't respond to letters like these but I think more credit is being given to Reagan than he deserves. He happened to be in office when communist Russia imploded. We beat them because they went broke trying to stay up with us. It took many administrations to accomplish this and the end came when Reagan was in office. We all had a hand in the demise of the USSR.

I know that interest rates were high before he took office but I don't recall anyone paying 22% for a house, at least not in this area. I do know that with the low interest rates of today, some retired people are having trouble making enough off their retirement funds to pay their bills. But if you want to buy a house and have a job, it's a good time to buy. Just be sure you have a job that pays more than the minimum wage.

And laser eye surgery? I doubt the connection is more than casual with Star Wars progams.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

because they went broke trying to stay up with us. It took many administrations to accomplish this and the end came when Reagan was in office. We all had a hand in the demise of the USSR.<

Funny, I always though George H.W. Bush was in office when this happened. Although I agree it was Ronald Reagan's policies that put them under and Bush just happened to be in office when this happened.

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

I was absolutely stunned when Carter uttered the phrase that I will always remember him for: "I can't believe they [the Soviets] lied to me."

Hello. Earth to Jimmie; that's what they did for a living (and still do). The fact he was genuinely surprised at that pretty-much sums up his presidency, I think. I'm sure he builds great houses with the "Habitat for Humanity" charity (a noble cause). Perhaps he should have stuck with that and not run for President.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Sorry; I suppose you were just taking a swipe at Kim, but that comment was uncalled for, unfair, and ill-informed.

I've been in Federal or State service almost constantly since 1966 (law enforcement and military). Most government employees, probably even Kim, work hard for their paycheck each month. If there's a "dole" out there in government service, I haven't found it yet.

Perhaps you might bring that "dole" theory up to all the brave men and women (both in the military and civilian government service) who are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan or to the families of those killed in one of those "dole" jobs.

My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Get it right bozo boy. You are a wretch. When you puke, you are retching.

Happy Days, Clinton died!

Ken

Reply to
KLawr63125

Didn't mean for you Bill, just the other guy. I consider the military to be in the service of the Nation, not the government.

Cheers,

Ken

Reply to
KLawr63125

Since we're getting all warm and fuzzy here, I might as well put in my $.02. I have publicly doubted on RMS Mr Woodier's exploits. I had assumed he was some braggart wannabee. I was informed by another RMSer that I was wrong. I apologize for my remarks. Kim M

Back to political sniping....

Reply to
Royabulgaf

"Al Superczynski" wrote

""Reagan bolstered the U.S. military might to ruin the Soviet economy, and he achieved his goal," said Gennady Gerasimov, who was the top spokesman for the Soviet Foreign Ministry during the 1980s."

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I think willingness to spend on things like the B-1, B-2, the... I forget the number, 600 ship? navy, etc. helped quite a bit, too... :)

Reply to
EGMcCann

There's a great book now out that shows how Carter was a fool and how he screwed over this country. Otherwise than that, it looks to be a pretty good read. Check it out in the sorta new book section at B&N.

Reply to
Mr. Plastic

Like what, helping out N Korea by giving us another nuke problem to worry about? Thanks for all your help, Mr. Peanut Carter

Reply to
Mr. Plastic

Didn't he give away the Panama Canal?

Rob Gronovius Modern US armor at

Rob Gronovius

He loves helping out the Chinese since they are the ones putting ports at both ends from what I understand. Nothing like being able to tie up a major access during a possible conflict.

Reply to
Mr. Plastic

The intent to divest the Canal Zone preceded Carter and was in process for a while. The estimation was that the canal would be obsolete and require substantial renovation within a short period after divestment, and there may have been issues with an expiring lease as well, though this is far enough in the past that I no longer recall. It's interesting, because I recently read that the canal is going to need billions of dollars of maintenance and upgrade if it is to provide a positive balance of payments to Panama. One more thing we don't have to pay for.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Unless the Panamanians ask for US financial aid, of course.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

And if we don't help somebody else will. I wonder if the Monroe Doctrine would survive that.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak