spammers on modelwarships forums :-)

Traffic seems a bit slow here, so ...

Just noticed in the last two days that one or two spammers have managed to infiltrate the message boards at Modelwarships. That sux, and I am sure the webmasters are doing their very best in that regard. Often such attempts herald larger operations on a site...PHP is pretty insecure, and loss of content occurs fairly regularly due to attacks by petty crackers. I hope backups and so forth are done regularly, to minimize the fallout.

If I ever catch a spammer, I've a good use for that superglue and old keyboards sitting in my basement. Followed by connection to the mains.

Good luck, Gernot

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

i think a dark room with a can opener and a case of spam to eat for 6 months would adjust their thinking. repeat until lesson learned.

e said the following on 04/12/06 15:39:

Heheh! I thought you meant everyone from the group going into the dark room and hiding. Trouble is it wouldn't make the spammers think "now where the hell did everyone go ?" as they talk at rather than with.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

no, the spammers. but a better idea would be to put 50 of them in a room with nothing. i bet in 6 months there would be 3 fat ones left.

e said the following on 04/12/06 18:27:

All making lots of money off each other by taking the first email address off the top and putting the next person's email address at the bottom then passing it on. No, really, it works! :-0

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

I admin a couple of Forums and it's been AWFUL. I'm deleting these creepazoids several times a day. The bear is that they've hired actual humans to do the registrations on every forum they can find for them by hand. So, all the safeties (like captchas) that were pretty good at defeating the bots are useless. Keeping them out also makes it impossible for legitimate users to get in. It just becomes this administrative nightmare!

- Erika

Reply to
NiceToScaleModellers

Hmm, that sux bigtime. I wonder if everyone using PCs needs to simply start to realize the dissociation from the real physical world was temporary, and take nets of trust seriously, making contacts the old fashioned way, personal commendations and so on, and in this way allow people to register based on other members votes, GPG validation, or similar more-tied-to-physical-reality checks. Machine checks for accepting humans can only go so far (they premised on defeating machines, after all, not on refusing humans).

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Spammers don't care. They don't even care that the medium they're parasitising is being shut down due to their efforts. They're killing their own "industry" off and they can't see why. But nobody ever said that spammers are rocket scientists.

Reply to
Jessie C