Spitfire caricature kit?

Greetings to all! Go ahead and laugh, I am. Looking for a couple of kits that came out in the mid 70's, I think. One was a Spitfire and I vaguely remember a second kit of a German plane, but not sure what. Both were silly caricatures.The grossly out of scale Spitfire pilot stuffed inside the canopy was holding a hand up in a "V". Anyone know what these were, who the manufaturer was, is there any still available out there???? New to the group, thanks in advance!

Eric

Reply to
Bull

Quite a few, mainly Japanese, manufacturers did these. Hasegawa are probably best known, with their egg-craft of the world series, some of which are still available I think. The description you give sounds like either one of the late 70s-early 80s Bandai kits, or more likely one of the Revell kits (specifically lieutenant riff raff's spitfire), both of which featured outsize pilots. These aren't made any longer, and they're probably sought after collectors' pieces now. Ebay might turn one up from time to time.

flak monkey

Eric:

You've come to the right place for all your modeling questions.

Revell's "Deal's Wheels".

This was a series of whimsical charicature models produced by Revell in the early 1970s. According to Thomas Graham's book, "Remembering Revell Model Kits" (ISBN 0-7643-2029-7), Dave Deal was a cartoonist whose work appeared in "Road & Track" magazine and featuring grossly distored cars in his cartoon drawings. A Revell marketing guy saw these and wondered if they could be turned into model kits? Dave Deal & Revell did some market research with "10 year olds" who said they'd buy models of these wild cars. At the same time, Monogram was planning to release a very similar line of kits called "Snap- Draggin's" based on the cartoon work of Tom Daniel. So the competition for wacky car kits was on. Revell's "Deal's Wheels" series turned out to be very successful for Revell and it introduced many kids to the art of model building.

Here's a list of the "Deal's Wheels" kits produced:

Cars: Glitter Bug - dune buggy Bug Out - VW Beetle Baja HumBug - VW bug racer VAN - VW van ZZZZZZZZ-28 - Z-28 Camaro (I believe Revell will rereleased this kit in 2007) Stink Ray - Corvette Swine Hunt - WW II German armored car McLapper Mk VB - McLarren racer Ferd Phony Car - Ford Maverick funny car '57 cHevy - 1957 Chevy GO-MAD Nomad - 1957 Chevy station wagon Trans-Um Tirebird - Firebird Super Spurt - Chevelle

Planes: The Baron and his Funfdecker Fokker - Fokker Dr.1 Lucky Pierre of the Lafayette Escadrille - Nieuport 17 Messa-Schnitzel 109 - Bf-109 Flt. Lft. Rif RAF and his Spitsfire - Spitfire

Revell produced "Deal's Wheels" from 1971 thru 1973 when the line was discontinued because Revell management felt the fad had run its course. Additional kits, including a Porsche 911, P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, A6M Zero, and P-47 Thunderbolt were planned but never went into production.

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

I believe Revel? is re-releasing the caricature Fokker this summer .

noddy

Reply to
noddy

I did indeed come to the right place, Thank you! The list of "Deals Wheels" kits brought back some memories. I was 10 years old in 1970 so they had me pegged! Now that I know what I'm looking for, maybe I'll be able to find one out there, somewhere? Thanks again guys! Eric

Reply to
Bull

Ahhh, Deal's Wheels--now you're bringing back some memories. Their marketing ploy worked on me too--I was twelve in '70. I built more than a few of the kits. The ones I remember most for some reason are the ZZZZZZ-28, Go-Mad Nomad, Stink Ray, the Ferd Phony car (although I believe that was a Boss Mustang, not a Maverick)and the Fünfdecker Fokker. To this day everytime I see a Nomad I still refer to it as a "Go-Mad". I was at a car show a few years ago, and there was a Nomad entered. As I walked over to it I said, "Hmm, a Go-Mad Nomad". The guy standing next to it got a very big smile on his face and said, "Ahh, you built Deal's Wheels when you were a kid!" I actually still had a Go-Mad and most or all of a ZZZZZ-28 up until about six years ago when the ex decided to do a little "housecleaning" (BEEEAAAAAATCH!!!). Here are links to a site dedicated to Deal's Wheels (the guy knows Dave Deal) and one for Tom Daniels.

Read the text on the Deal's Wheels link, there are some quite interesting tidbits about Dave Deal and the things he's done over the years. He definitely has not been sitting on his hands!

Reply to
Disco58

Yes, found out the Baron has just been re-released and the Zzzzz-28 should be out soon, also. Maybe more will follow...

Reply to
Bull

I seem to remember a "novelty" kit along the same lines as the ones you mention, that was based on the XF-85 Goblin parasite fighter. I had it, and attempted to build it, but I can only remember it being based on the XF-85, and that it was lost, damaged, or destroyed.

Anyone else know anything of this one?

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Sounds like the Monogram Flap Jack motorized kit with rotating prop and flapping wings. More info at:

'sFlapJackPage.htm Martin

Reply to
The Collector

And that would be the one.

Nice to see a couple of photos, because I remembered some of the details to be considerably different from what was shown in those pictures.

Thanks for bringing back a good memory!

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

how the hell did i miss that? i was building then and built every weirdo kit, including all the weird-o, i could find. damn. now there is a reissue candidate if ever.

I remember seeing a model of the Fw-190A with an egg-shaped fuselage years ago. There may also have been a Spitfire and other aircraft given this same treatment, but the 190A is the only one I've seen. That one had Herman Graf's markings and was entered in a IPMS "humor in modeling" category several years ago.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

noddy wrote in news:%gIBh.1027639$5R2.701258@pd7urf3no:

On 18 Feb 2007, you wrote in rec.models.scale:

W00T!!! Wanted one of them for years. A friends older brother had the Fokker and the Spit and I woulda just about killed for one, but it never showed... Poor me. (c: So I guess I'll just hafta set the wayback machine for '72 or so and see what I can find!

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob

The 'Egg' planes were from Hasegawa, I believe. I, of course, was far too serious an aircraft modeller to buy any of these. My loss, I guess.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

And it was designed by Tom Daniel,IIRC. I had that one as a kid - I wish they'd reissue it, too.

Reply to
David Bono