For Auction: train stuff

Hi all

just wanted to let you know I have a few things on eBay....... don't imagine the gramophone or radio will be of any interest, but some of the train bits might be...... for anyone not in Australia, paypal is fine and our postage costs are the lowest in the developed world.

mindesign

Steve, as someone who used to fix them, what makes you think an old radio has any value at all?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

only selling them for many thousands of dollars over the years - albeit not this model which I am selling on behalf of our local Op Shop

:)

Reply to
mindesign

It must be an Australian thing. You'd have to pay someone to cart it away over here.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

could be ...... though different things have cyclical value I have found..... once upon a time my dad paid a bloke 3 shillings to come and take the family's radiogram and gramophone away in a truck. I bought, then sold that same model gramophone in the 1990's - a HMV Library Grand. Got $2300 at auction for it.

But radiograms - now that's another story altogether, but retro has taken Australia by storm so who knows

I just know I will never be into them

:)

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

Me neither, but there are some wonderful things around from the 60s and earlier.

Now talking radios I'd love to get my hands on the bloody great thing my grandparents had in the 1950s - it was a piece of furniture in itself, and as a kid I loved twiddling the knobs to try and receive exotic stations such as Hilversum and Berlin, the names of which appeared on the tuning panel.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

There's no point. It won't work. It will never work. There's nothing you can buy for it that will ever make it work.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

That's not the point, it would look nice! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

My grandad used to design them so if there's enough interest out there we'll put them back into production but they won't be cheap.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Just out of interest Kim, why would such a radi receiver no longer work? Have they changed the way radio is broadcast?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Of course they can be made to work, a lot of people refurbish old valve radios. The main problem is sourcing valves that are now obsolete, (not all are by the way).

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You can't get the parts. Even if you could they wouldn't comply with current safety regulations.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It isn't just the valves it's output transformers, high voltage capacitors and slow-motion dials which require a wiring diagram of their own. Even back in 1970 I was having to cannibalize parts from other appliances to keep radios running.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"> It isn't just the valves it's output transformers, high voltage capacitors

Despite the problems there are a lot of people who DO refurbish old radios as a hobby.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"kim" wrote

Yes, that makes sense.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

What's wrong with installing completely new innards into an old shell?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Not being able to find the old shell for starters! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Certainly possible, but it would send the purists into apoplexy!!

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

">

Try putting 'repairing valve radios' into Google, you will find a lot of sites dedicated to it. Quite a few also sell items in various states of restoration.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Nothing wrong but the end result wouldn't sound anything like the original. Radio valves had a 'warmth' to the sound they created which many people liked and cannot be replicated with modern transistors.

(kim)

Reply to
kim