For Auction: train stuff

Yes but not the particular one which John is looking for. They are basically cherry-picking the items which are most easily restored and ignoring the rest, a bit like steam engines really. Suppose for example a bakelite knob needed replacing. These were cast individually for almost every different model so the chances of finding a replacement are almost zero.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

But that doesn't stop people trying!!!

regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In message , Jeff writes

Sounds like a good idea, then :-)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , kim writes

I remember the old valve radios. Long wave, medium wave, short wave; trying to listen to a concert on the third programme (247 m. medium wave in those days) and getting better reception from Radio Tirana which also broadcast on 247.

Give me digital radio any day.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

ummmm in '93 I sold my collection of fully functional radios

43 in all - earliest was from the 30's and worked

Reply to
mindesign

John if you know anything about your gran's old radio - a name or something I bet it would take minutes to find another

I have seen people make them into bars, which bores me, but I get it ..... Also I have seen an entire HiFi unit housed in one, which doesn't bore me at all

Another who had his speakers for his Dolby Digital setup, housed in radios and radio speakers - that was very nice.

It could be used to house CDs DVDs Videos (if anyone has these anymore)

Or even......... drum roll please

Model Trains

:)

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

I have a contact who makes perfect replica knobs - the only difference apart from the material of course, is the weight, but being cast from an original or carved to match, and made in resin they look fantastic

Don't get me wrong - I think you understand all this, being a Modeller - but a viable commercial venture, it ain't

Now Gramophones and Phonographs - that's a different thing entirely. There's a worldwide cottage industry dedicated to their restoration - something I am very happy about..... I thought the hardest thing to get would be Mica for my soundboxes ..... took me moments to find some and within 20 minutes of home too!

I personally made a limited edition grammo which sold like hot cakes, then the Indian made pieces of s*1t appeared on the market and destroyed the price. I sold all mine within a year - admittedly only 17, but each was $1550 Aussie or £650 back in 91. Not a bad on-the-side income.

Pic of the prototype is here if interested.

Still have that one and she stills chugs along sounding woeful and wonderful all at once, if you get my meaning.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

That's the trouble, I've no idea of the make, just a recollection of the thing. All I can tell you is that my grandfather managed a Co-op store until his retirement in the very early 1960s, and there would be a very strong probability that he bought it through CWS (Co-operative Wholesale Society).

From memory it was fairly large and stood on (and filled) its own table. I'd guess it would be around 24" tall and maybe a fraction wider. It had the speaker in the front and the tuning panel (what's the correct name for the thing with the position needle & radio stations on it) on the top front. I think it had two knobs just below the panel. I'd guess it would be fron the early-mid 1950s, but could have been earlier.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Wasn't that the effects of the heavyside layer? I expect in Tirana they were getting the third programme perfectly!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

what about mum or dad knowing the brand?

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

Dad died ten years ago, and Mum wouldn't know the brand of the telly she's watching tonight. Nice idea though. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John; an acquaintance of mine collects / mends / restores old radios , plenty of pictures here if they would help jog the memory...

airsmoothed

wrote

Fascinating website, thanks for pointing me there. Sadly there's nothing like my grandparents radio on there, but it does give me the inkling that maybe their radio was somewhat older than I thought.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You can still buy all of these if you know where to look (Google).

Slow motion dials don't have any wires! String and a spring maybe.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

What safety regulations? LVD, CE, EMC, etc., regulations allow you to repair existing equipment to your hearts content, with no requirement for it to be brought up to existing standards. You can even use lead based solder on them.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Speaker output transformers were custom wound to suit a particular model and make. Capacitors were often of the paper type with insulation which rapidly broke down often with fatal reaults. You work on these at your peril.

The twine was wrapped around the pulleys in a particular sequence for which a separate 'wiring diagram' was necessary. Again it was different for almost evey make and model.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

An appliance which doesn't meet current BSA standards cannot be sold by retail or auction. We are talking live chassis with very poor levels of insulation.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Define BSA and point me to the standards and I might believe you.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

BSA = Kitemark

Tune into any of those godawful auction shows on daytime TV. Watch what happens when they try to sell any electrical item by auction. You can't even sell a table lamp unless it has a BSA kitemark on it.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

do a rough as guts sketch of it mate or even perhaps think of a time when folks might've been photographed around it, which used to happen - even a year and a general description might help

I am intrigued now

:))))

love the net

Reply to