For Auction: train stuff

brand new TVs have live chassis

:)

and silly me thought this would only appeal to people wanting the train bits

LOVE the net

:)

Reply to
mindesign

In the UK, at least, the 'CE' mark has superceded the kite mark, just in case anybody wonders why recent electrical equipment doesn't have a kite mark.

Reply to
airsmoothed

In Australia they might, in the UK they certainly don't. The last TV I ever saw in the UK with a live chassis was a 34" Sony and that was in the early

1990's.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

My TV is a Loewe, European with a Philips gizzards, but I have no idea if it's a live'n and I ain't about to check!

In fact the bloody thing has a fault which I have to get repaired - lugging

60 kilos of tellie all over the place will NOT be fun!

Reply to
mindesign

It's not live but there are no user-servciceable parts inside it anyway and you could still get a lethal shock from the tube-drive or scan components even when it's switched-off and disconnected from the mains.

(kim)

*The original Philips G6 chassis was live and continued to be made in Australia until the early 1980's
Reply to
kim

By "it" I presume you mean the internet which as we all know is infallible and takes precedence over any court decision?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

No, I mean show me where it is written that a kitemark is required to sell an old radio, or where it is written that the kitemark takes precedence over EU directives in this matter.

If you do know, then tell us, rather than appearing as though you're trying to dodge the question.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

Interesting - we had a casual inspection by Trading Standards a few years back and they found an oldish Meccano made Hornby Dublo transformer/controller which we had on sale. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was illegal to sell such an appliance as it did not comply with current safety regulations, because (amongst other things) it had the old style red/black/green mains wiring.

When I suggested it was being sold as a collector's item, I was told that was irrelevent. If the item was capable of working at the point of sale it had to comply with the most recent regulations. The Trading Standards official said I could cut off the mains lead or withdraw it from sale, or he would take legal action.

It's also irrelevent whether such an item is being sold by a trader or a private individual.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

The kitemark is irrelevent, as it only shows that the item complied with the legislation in force when the item was new. All electrical appliances offered for sale today have to comply with the current legislation.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

OK, I accept that the LVD applies to secondhand goods (CE marking doesn't), but...

Having old wiring may make a product unsafe and therefore illegal but the colour of the wiring alone is not sufficient to make it illegal. The only way to tell is to have it tested but there is no mandatory requirement to test secondhand goods.

I suspect the inspector was being overzealous. Did you challenge him as to which safety regs you would be contravening?

Some background:

Only goods sold in the course of a business are covered.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

As a quick sanity check I've just looked at a variety of mains powered appliances bought in the last few years, and none of them have kitemarks : all have CE marking. I can't remeber off the top of my head when the kitemark was supreceded, I'll ask one of my co-workers who lives & breathes this type approvals stuff.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Exactly my point.

We're tallking about seconhand equipment only, here. This has to be safe and you may have to demonstrate that it's safe. Which "current legislation" are you referring to.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

I know what you're talking about having followed the thread with interest, but it's worth pointing out that ALL electrical goods (new or used) offered for sale in the UK has to comply with current safety legislation. That applies whether the seller is a trader or a private individual.

I cannot quote chapter and verse on the relevent legislation, but if you're in any doubt just ring your local trading standards office.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

...unless being sold for scrap.

R.

Reply to
Richard

In message , kim writes

I thought BSA was the abbreviation for "British Small Arms" (also known as "Bits Stuck Anywhere") who made bicycles and motorcycles amongst other things. ISTR they were based in the Midlands somewhere.

Wasn't the Kitemark issued by the British Standards Institute (= BSI)?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Richard" wrote

If it is capable of being used when sold it still has to comply.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Probably not it you are a trader, the legislation doesn't actually talk about selling, it is more like put onto the market.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"BSA" is the British Sociological Association, or any of the Building Societies Association, Bespoke Security Architecture, The British School at Athens, or the British Speleological Association, among others.

But then again, once upon a time, when Britannia ruled the waves, it was the "Birmingham Small Arms Trade Association", later the "Birmingham Small Arms Company" based, funnily enough, in Birmingham! With roots back to 1692 (it says here). I thought Rootes were based in Coventry, not Birmingham?

And linking to another thread on this newsgroup, BSA made the gearbox and engine for the world's first tank!

I know you will thank me for this one day.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

I missed out the best one of all - the British Stammering Association.

Ya gotta love the internet - all the information in the world at a click of a mouse, and 98% of it absolutely bloody useless!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

I seem to remember old radios (wireless sets?) reminded me of the "Flying Scotsman" - they whistled at every station.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan