For Auction: train stuff

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Goodness me, don't remind me - the only bike I ever own that needed a following rider to pick up the bits that fell off! :-)

Bike Sucked Anyway.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Jane,

I think it was actually 'Birmingham Small Arms', but stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

surely that couldn't cover items being sold as-is or for repair-restoration. Here we just cut the cord off it and all is well

Reply to
mindesign

classic example of lunatics running the asylum

Reply to
mindesign

you're not

Reply to
mindesign

of course ....... when I say "all is well" you get your arse sued off if something happens when the dill sticks another cord on it - this culture is one of rights NOT rights and responsibilities. I am sure the UK is far more advanced than us Colonials though.

:))))))

Reply to
mindesign

"mindesign" wrote

I'm told that cutting off the mains lead here is also sufficient to consider a mains electrical appliance as disabled.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Don't laugh! One modeller built an illuminated Blackpool tram layout in an old television cabinet.

Since 1999, he and friends have been working on a 16' long representation of Blackpool Promenade, complete with working illuminations and up to 12 operating trams including the illuminated Rocket tram.

Reply to
MartinS

My parents received a Marconi radiogram as a wedding present in 1939. It stood on the floor but was quite compact, having the radio (MW and LW) controls on the front and the 78rpm gramophone under a lid on the top. I think it went out when our first TV (Ekco?) arrived c. 1954. A few years later I bought myself a portable Dansette 3-speed record player. Some players had a 16 2/3 rpm speed, but I don't remember any 16 2/3 records.

Reply to
MartinS

I remember 247m being the Light Programme, supplementing 1500m Long Wave broadcast from Droitwich. I think the Home Service (North) might have been on 454m, and I definitely remember 208m (Bong!) Radio Luxembourg.

Reply to
MartinS

The CE mark appears worldwide, but in Canada CSA or UL(C) certification is still required on 110/220V electrical goods, AFAIK.

Reply to
MartinS

TV dealers bless the new LCD & Plasma flat screens and DLP/LCD slim projection TVs - much lighter and more manageable than 27"+ CRTs and conventional projection TVs up to 60". A typical 32" LCD TV weighs 20kg.

Reply to
MartinS

man I've seen everything!

Reply to
mindesign

Some also bless them because they can charge (or try to charge) twice as much for the warranty (and pocket a big fat commission) as it's "new technology".

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

There are exceptions. From the government guidance notes

"The supply of electrical equipment that is in need of reconditioning or repair to someone who carries on a business of repairing and reconditioning electrical equipment is excluded from the Regulations by virtue of the Act. Similarly the sale of articles as scrap is also excluded. However, if the electrical equipment is subsequently supplied to someone who does not carry on such a business it is subject to the requirements of the Regulations."

There's nothing about its serviceable state, only who you can sell it to.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

Aye, a mate of mine used to work for one of the *big* electrical chains and told me that the commission the store receives on warranty insurance can be as high as 80% of the premiums. Rip off or what?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

OK, that sounds reasonable, but that seems to suggest that an item being disposed of for scrap or repair can only be disponsed of to someone who carries on a business of repairing and reconditioning electrical equipment. It appears to confirm that such items cannot be disposed of to a member of the general public.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That conflicts with the requirement that most electrical items must be supplied fitted with an approved fused plug. How does it apply to items with detachable mains leads such as Kettles? It's a real minefield!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

Absolutely, and there's little doubt that the only winners in a disagreement with Trading Standards would be the latter. As a result we will no longer 'buy for resale' any controller more than about five years old - and that's fairly arbitrary. Any controller we buy to resell has to not only look as though it's been well looked after, but is also checked over by a local tame electrician.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from MartinS contains these words:

But do you remember "Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future!"? Were you ever an "Ovalitiney"? I think we should be told.

Reply to
David Jackson