For Auction: train stuff

Not Horace Batchelor - again :-)

I now live near Keynsham and I occasionally have to drive through it and it always triggers the memories of the monotone voice spelling the name out, and it must have been nearly fifty years since I last heard it :-)

Wasn't his company associated with "Take Your Pick" with its genial quiz inquizitor (sp?) - Michael Miles. :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

I think *all* our Dads "wrote off" good old Horace when we failed to win it big on the pools!

But then there was always the Irish National Sweepstakes...

A few years ago I attended a cricket match played at the old Fry's factory outside Bristol, and being a bit bored (we were losing), went for a wander. I discovered the remnants of the disused goods branch into the factory, and tracked it back through the undergrowth. I eventually found myself standing on the platform of K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M station! And looking at the station nameboard, good old Horace Bachelor jumped straight into my uppermost thoughts as if all the intervening years had never been!

(See how I get us back to railways!)

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

He was the 'voice' of Take Your Pick if I remember correctly 'though we never saw his face?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

IIRC, Bob Danvers Walker was the 'voice' of TYP .

And for those of you young enough to have missed the pleasure, here he is in all his radio glory on this site

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

I finally received a reply from Trading Standards. Quote "second hand electrical goods sold privately are not covered by any consumer protection regulations. There are still civil liabilities in as much that a duty of care is still required to be taken by the seller.".

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Which particular "Trading Standards"?. Last time I checked there more than

600 of them around the country and each had there own interpretation of the law applied in any particular case. As my email address implies I run a video distribution business on the side and often get told (or asked) by dealers how the law is applied in their particular locality. It's never the same in any two places.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

And your point is? The same law, be it trading standards, VAT, anti-social exclusion zones, or anything else, can be applied differently even in the same locality on different occasions or by different law enforcement agents. That's why we have an appeal process in this country with enquiries, lawyers, tribunals, and courts. No-one *knows* what any law really means until it has been tested in the courts.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Even then it doesn't apply nationally. I know areas of the country where dealers are routinely prosecuted for selling importing videos and others where dealers are allowed to sell the exact same videos quite openly. It is left entirely up to individual trading standards officers to interpret the decision of the courts and how it should be applied in their area.

(kim)

Reply to
kim