Star Wars A-wing fighter studio model

It has been widely reported that the original A-wing fighter model used in 'Return of the Jedi' was based on the upper fuselage of an F-14 model (specifically, the top of the intake/wing glove area). The original model was 24-26" long, and I'm racking my brain trying to figure what F-14 kit might have been used. 1/32 is the largest injection kit I know of, and that seems too small. Does anyone know what kit, if any, was used on that model, or at least what was the scale of the F-14 used? Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
David Graf

Radio Control kits...

Reply to
Rufus

Having seen the shooting model on a few occasions (have about 15 pics of it), it looked like the Tamiya one. Of course, it's a bit hard to say without having both side by side. The drop tanks ended up on the B-Wing (which has a Monogram 1/48 pilot).

Dom

Reply to
Dominique Durocher

Not that it's relevant, but ISTR that the engines on the X Wing are from the Revell 1/32 F-4.

Reply to
frank may

That's what I thought at first, but it doesn't seem to scale out right. Based on the dimensions for the studio model given in Star Wars Chronicles (600 mm or 23.6" long), it appears that the donor F-14 would be about 1/16. However, I'm not aware of a Tomcat in that scale. Rufus mentioned the possibility of an RC item - was a 1/16 RC F-14 kit available circa 1981?

Dave

Reply to
David Graf