To Our English Friends

If you actively vote for someone who stands against them, write letters, etc., it's not aquiescence.

do the thing you

That's a very good point. Maybe it *is* OK to break the law, if the moral issue is bigger than the legal one.

That's true. You still must be true to your own beliefs.

Why shouldn't it be actively thwarted? If it's like any issue that people feel strongly about, where there are actual *reasoned* differences of opinion, then how is it different for some other issue that you mention above?

So, again - when Gray Ghost says such a thing, do you stand up, or stand silently by?

some facet

While I agree with the latter, and I agree with the former (in a manner that you might not agree with,) it would seem that since you're all for it, then that gives your kind of criticism a pass. Hardly logically consistent of those who yell "treason." But I would consider their logic suspect to begin with...

That's true. And his is guaranteed as well, even if it seems ignorant. But there's an element of political correctness to all this: "If you don't agree with my viewpoint, you're ignorant and you should just shut up."

That statement should scare the daylights out of anyone. Round up liberals if there's another attack? Really? I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole, but come on - even if there was another attack, I can't see rounding up *anyone*, except the perpetrators.

It's the mindset I'm criticizing - the idea that if someone says something you don't like, that you should *not* advocate (or remain silent when others advocate) the silencing of the dissent. Right-wing, left-wing, doesn't matter.

I read it in the paper and hear it on the radio almost every day. I don't see ANY level-headed conservatives standing up and saying "that's not right." You're the very first I've seen that even made an attempt.

That, in and of itself, should make you sad.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

criticized at all.

Because it's self-defeating. Why even have a national policy at all if our citizens don't support it?

Some issues are matters of national survival, not mere domestic political differences.

Was I silent in the above paragraph? Take it as you will.

There are those who think that *any* criticism of the president is treasonous.

Some on both sides are guilty of that.

And potential perpetrators? Remember, we're talking about another massive loss of innocent lives. At what point do you think the American public would get *really* angry?

Try reading some of the mainstream conservative blogs for a week or so. It won't hurt.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

criticized at all.

Ah, and there's the answer, right in the question. You formulate a national policy that's consistent and rational, then show how it's necessary. Not just claim it's necessary, but show why.

I think that's why you see the huge numbers of support for the Afghani fight, but less for other things. Most everyone sees the former as necessary. Only the real whackos don't.

actual *reasoned*

I agree that there are some folks who feel that all of the foreign policy decisions are matters of national survival, but that feeling doesn't make it so. This is where I depart from my normal neutrality on foreign policy acts I don't agree with. From my perspective, I'm not sure *everything* being done overseas is a matter of national survival.

You weren't responding to him, but to me. I hate to say it, but it's a pretty wishy-washy condemnation. That does not take away from the sentiment, however. I do appreciate that.

The difference being the vehemence of the right when complaining about PC. THe left has been wallowing in PC for decades, no doubt. But the right is hypocritical to engage in it after complaining for so long.

Rounding up liberals, Al? Which liberals do you think are most like to blow something up? Ted Kennedy? Mike Moore? Even if the American people are mad, that doesn't imply that it's moral to imprison every muslim (insert group here) because we're afraid. That is evil. And has been.

I guess the ones I read aren't mainstream. Do you have some addresses I could look at? I have gotten so tired of the polar opposite that I just stopped reading blogs altogether.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

He killed an innocent girl and got away with it............

One must never forget that !

Allan

Reply to
AM