vulcan

Those were the days. I used to live on the flight paths for RAF Scampton and Waddungton. You always new they were on the way when the tv screen started bouncing and then came the noise of the engines. We also got the Lightnings from RAF Binbrook nearby as well, they could shift when going to an intercept over the North Sea. Busy skies over Lincolnshire. A really impressive experience were the air shows at Waddington when 4 Vulcans scrambled in less than 4 mins. Rolled down the runway about 50 feet apart and sat on their tails and climbed vertically. The ground literally shook and you could hardly breath, took ages to get you hearing back. Now all we get are Tornados, Harriers and AWACS, trainers, and the occasional free display of the Red Arrows practising. With of course the occasional also ran going to the bombing ranges on the coast. Which reminds me of when I lived at Holbeach near the bombing ranges I looked out of my kitchen window to see my two yeear old daughter running up the garden to the house with a look of sheer terror on her face with an RAF Jaguar about 50 feet above her. Shouldnt laugh but it was funny. If the guy had been much lower he would have been driving, not flying.

The Old Timer wrote in article

The Lindberg was the only option for a very long time. Apart from it being a funny scale to fit in a standard sized box (1/96th- I think) it was based on the Prototype and was substantially different from later "Conventional" Vulcans. If memory serves there was Scale Model magazine article on how to accurize the Lindberg kit into the "V" bomber Vulcan.

I miss the Vulcan, although there is one at a local museum that they drive up and down the runway occaisionally it's not the same as seeing that huge pollutant spewing monster taking off. Happy days!!!

Reply to
David Amos

No doubt making a constant whine. I don't believe it!

Bill Banaszak, MFE ;)

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Les, It ain't pollutant - it's 'memory gas'.

RobG (the Lightning & Vulcan-less Aussie one)

The Old Timer wrote in article

The Lindberg was the only option for a very long time. Apart from it being a funny scale to fit in a standard sized box (1/96th- I think) it was based on the Prototype and was substantially different from later "Conventional" Vulcans. If memory serves there was Scale Model magazine article on how to accurize the Lindberg kit into the "V" bomber Vulcan.

I miss the Vulcan, although there is one at a local museum that they drive up and down the runway occaisionally it's not the same as seeing that huge pollutant spewing monster taking off. Happy days!!!

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

i found a lindberg cheap, any advice?

Build the Prototype. The biggest difference was that it had a straight leading edge to the delta wing, not the "stepped" version of the production model. There were other differences, but I think that that one was the most noticable. Getting back to "Thunderball", its been a long time since I saw that film. The hijacked Vulcan, did it have the stepped wings, or were they straight? I can't clearly remember, but it ~could~ be a "senior moment".

The Old Timer

"Conventional"

I can't remember all my research but that wing was basically a pre-cursor to the B1.

Early version obviously had no TFR blip on the nose or the RWR gear on the tail fin. There was also some gear mounted between each pair of engines, which probably wasn't on any of the prototypes.

Guessing, it would have been B2 era with the stepped wings.

They seem more common to all of us................

Reply to
The Raven

In article , The Old Timer writes

I can't help with differences between the prototypes and the production types (pure triangles?), but there were two main production types, the B.1 and B.2 (larger span, longer and the kink on the leading edge was more pronounced). The engine exhausts were also longer at some point in production. From memory the difference was roughly that the B.1s were white for high altitude work, the B.2s camo for low level work.

Reply to
John Halliwell

One of my best remembered airshows was Frederick, Maryland in 1968. AVM Crowley-Milling and an R.A.F. Group were touring the U.S. giving demonstrations with a Vulcan. I can still remember the roar of those 4 engines as this huge aluminum pterodactyl executed 360 degree turns inside the boundaries of the airport. C-M was an interesting guy, but like most vets, no memory of the Hurricane he flew in 242 squadron in August 1940. "Too long ago, old chap!"

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Those of "the few" I've met are the same. I think they prefer not to talk about it as it is painful for them. Their logbooks are very informative and I've perused some at the RAF museum library. They usually list details of A/C flown and engagements.

Of the Vulcan, I remember seeing one perform at an airshow and wondering how they got something so huge to fly. Those were the days of Hunter formations and Lightnings. The Red Arrows in Folland Gnats and the Short Belfast in silver and white. Happy days!

Reply to
John Pickstock

Sand off the raised lines and use Krylon white spray paint. (Do they allow that in California?) It's not a bad kit, just an old moulding.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Longer engine exhausts were with the 300 series engines I believe (without looking at references)

B2's also came in white. B2 had the larger wing kink with an extra 12ft in total span (115ft).

Low altitude versions were never white (AFAIK) but had the TFR and RWR stuff.

Pretty impressive that such a high altitude bomber could also make an effective low level bomber..........

Reply to
The Raven

The Vulcan in _Thunderball_ was a B.1A. It had the short wing (with extended leading edge) upppersurface camoflage, and extended tailcone with ECM equipment. Only the first two prototypes had the straight leading edge, and only the very first (VX 770?) had the short nose.

Reply to
Jeff C

The Vulcan B2 with Olympus 200 series engines had the longer slender jet pipe end caps while the 300 engine end caps were shorter and squatter in shape. The Thunderball filming included the footage of the Vulcan B.1A while the aircraft in the water was a model.

Cheers Kev

Reply to
KEV OF BBA

leading edge, and only the very first (VX 770?) had the short nose.

Reply to
KEV OF BBA

top) exercise somewhere, basically the big Vulcan was flying rings round him and he couldn't do anything about it.

Reply to
KEV OF BBA

But they were all later retrofitted with the cranked leading edge after a very short time. Given the performance problems, Avro couldn't let them fly as built.

Reply to
Jeff C

Hi Jeff Not quite true- the first two? if memory serves retained the straight edge as they became testbeds. Cheers Kev

Reply to
KEV OF BBA

VX770 got the early cranked wing, and VX777 got the B.2 wing, but later on. There were some nasty flutter effects encountered at high mach numbers which made the straight wing unsafe to fly. Avro made the changes pretty quickly for safety's sake.

Reply to
Jeff C

so is the lindberg kit a strait or stepped?

I think the first two prototypes were built with pure delta wings. I'd have to check my Profile on the type to know where it went from there.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak