Waldron punches

Hi Gang. I am ready to make the leap and purchase a set of punch and die
sets for cutting out 1/48 and 1/32 instrument face decals. The only source I
have found for the Waldron sets is Great Model Webstore and they only have
them as a special order item. I assume this will take some time to receive.
Is there any other mail order sites ehat I should invedtigate? Any
suggestions will be greatly rescived, Thanks, Pete
Reply to
thelaws
Very poor spelling of received.
Reply to
thelaws
There are lots of online shops that carry Waldron's punches:
Al Superczynski
Someone told me Waldron is going out of biz...anyone else heard anything to that effect?..
Reply to
Rufus
When I ordered some I went straight to Waldron but that was at least 10 years ago.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad Modeller
Yes, they are closing shop at the end of this month (health issues). They have an ad in FSM Mag. which states this.
Waldron punches are listed on many websites but most are out of stock.
I just recently got a set (shop was out of stock but just received the shipment last week) but it only included the punches (not the die). I called them last Saturday and they should be sending me the missing part shortly.
Peteski
Reply to
Peter W.
I got mine a couple of years ago from Roll Models - rollmodels.com. Not sure if they are currently in production, but they are worth the high price. Sad to hear Waldron is closing - hopefully some one will buy the rights, since their gauges are much better than Eduard's and the newer digital stuff. Dave
Reply to
Dave Calhoun
You had better hurry, I have heard through the modeling grapevine that Waldron is shutting down.
Mike West/Lone Star Models
Reply to
Mike West
And while we are on the subject of the Waldron punches, how much does a set cost? If a set of punches is made by a company other than Waldron, again, how much should it cost to get a decent set of punches? Should I even bother to get a set of punches, and fabricate something out of, say aluminum tubing, brass or stainless steel or another metal, that will work half as good as Waldron, but will get the job done?
Ray Austin, TX ===
Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman
They are expensive - I think I paid upwards of $75 for mine, and that was many years ago. Yes, there are other places to get such punches from; Historex makes sets in round, hex, and square ones. But I believe they cost just as much as the Waldorn ones (if not more) and I haven't been able to find a source for them in the USA - I would particularly like a set of the hex ones.
A set of round punches would certainly be easy enough to make - all you need is a set of numbered and lettered drill bits, some corresponingly sized drill rod, a bit of stainless steel plate and plexi, and a drill press. So, if you happen to have those on hand...
Reply to
Rufus
This is official. IIRC, on page 76 in the latest FSM Magazinie.
Reply to
Peter W.
Yes, you can make them yourself. But alignment and tolerances will be bit larger that the "real" ones. So, your punched out disks will not be quite as nice.
Waldron ones are made from steel.
NAd for whoever is looking for the hexagonal ones check:
Peter W.
Just to let you know
We can supply both the Waldron Precision Punch & Die Set WMP18 at £58.30 (approx $105) and the Sub-Miniature Punch & Die Set WMP19 at £105.50 (approx $188.50) plus postage to the USA. Develivery would be about 2 weeks. (These prices are ex-VAT so if anyone in the EU wants them they must add 17 1/2 VAT to the price.
We can also get quite a lot of their other lines of dashboards etc.
David Penningto SBX Model Shop - Ipswich, Suffolk, England
snipped-for-privacy@sbxmodelshop.co.uk
Reply to
david
Thankd David, but thjat is *A LOT* of money! I just picked up the Precision set for about $55 US. Yours is about double the price. And not including postage...
But I'm sure that you'll sell them at some point in the future.
Peteski
Reply to
Peter W.
Après mûre réflexion, thelaws a écrit :
Waldron is out for now, bur Historex Agent do the same kind of tools. Take a look there :
Flying Frog
I appreciate that the prices are high. these reflect the general level of kit prices here in the Uk where the dollar gets converted almost at 1:1 normally rather than at 1.79 which is the current rate.
However, if these are disappearing and people want them then the stock is over here and available so its worth mentioning.