Was the pilot having a good day or a bad day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpOmzjUHVy8&feature=player_embedded

Add pictures here
βœ–
Gray Ghost wrote:

No telling what's going on here...emergency, test flight, demonstration?
--
- Rufus

Add pictures here
βœ–

It just said that he “lost control” on take off and the pilot regained control and landed it.
I thought it looked the wings stopped flying there for a moment but I’m not a pilot.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gray Ghost wrote:

I'm a pilot, and I'd think that if he'd actually lost control due to some failure that made the jet behave that violently he'd have crashed - or at the very least not have turned around. And if all he had was an engine failure then he wouldn't have been gyrating around like that - the engines are close enough together not to create a significant yaw moment with one out...even if he was on the edge of stall. Unless there was a genuine flight control malfunction, and then the best course of action is still to "land" straight ahead.
So I'm thinking this footage has been misinterpreted? It looks more like a low speed test or demonstration of some sort to me...maybe a certification test of some sort? Dunno what's going on here, really...need more info.
--
- Rufus

Add pictures here
βœ–
Rufus wrote the following:

He did it to get a spot on You Tube.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

maybe this clears it up.
Craig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7djMcDUxZM

Add pictures here
βœ–
Musicman59 wrote:

Actually, there was a comment in my daily American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics brief notes on it today - called it "unexplained oscillations", but took about the same stand as I do...more information required. I suspect the details will come out shortly.
--
- Rufus

Add pictures here
βœ–

This was also discussed on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation. According to someone there, this was a control problem. A Tu-154 was being restored to service after being stored for 10 years. Something went wrong with the controls or sensors to the ailerons/spoilers. The control input would respond normally then deflect hard in the opposite direction. Amaxing they did not crash.
Add pictures here
βœ–
John Stewart said the following on 03/05/2011 03:12:

He pressed the [Twizzle] button by mistake.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Richard Brooks wrote:

Makes one wonder if it might not have been an autopilot problem...I know of at least one instance where auto-throttles shut down both engines on a 737 in an effort to optimize fuel consumption...it had figured out for itself that "best conserve" was off...
...we fixed that.
--
- Rufus

Add pictures here
βœ–
John Stewart wrote:

Yeah - that's what I read today...maiden flight out of long term storage. Was amazing that they got it back on the deck. I'd like to see just how stable (or not) that final approach was after the jet went out of frame behind the trees!
--
- Rufus

Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd like to see a picture of the crew getting off after it landed...... New tighty whighty's for everybody I would imagine.
Add pictures here
βœ–
It was on the news the other night and the commentator was saying it was a Tu-154 that had been parked for five years. It was taken out on a test flight. I'd say you can't trust those things. The Polish plane that crashed in Russia last year was one of those.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Add pictures here
βœ–

A bit looks like pilot induced oscillations. Happens.
More likely engine controls or guidance hooked up wrong. Also happens. Pilot usually goes looking for ground crew with a large wrench...
Add pictures here
βœ–
frank wrote:

Engines aren't far enough apart to cause that violent of a pitch or yaw moment if one goes south. I'm thinking flight controls or autopilot problem...
...story came out that this was a jet which was on a maiden FCF after *long* term (10 years!) storage.
<http://www.news24.com/World/News/Russia-probes-dancing-jet-20110504
More info on the type here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-154
...but it's interesting to note that this jet has an anhedralled wing - never heard of such on a low wing configuration of this type/size...no wonder...couple that (or not) with fly-by-wire flight controls and disaster *will* lurk.
--
- Rufus

Add pictures here
βœ–