Was the pilot having a good day or a bad day?

No telling what's going on here...emergency, test flight, demonstration?

Reply to
Rufus

Rufus wrote in news:8- CdnYYG_cbDRCDQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com:

It just said that he ?lost control? on take off and the pilot regained control and landed it.

I thought it looked the wings stopped flying there for a moment but I?m not a pilot.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I'm a pilot, and I'd think that if he'd actually lost control due to some failure that made the jet behave that violently he'd have crashed - or at the very least not have turned around. And if all he had was an engine failure then he wouldn't have been gyrating around like that - the engines are close enough together not to create a significant yaw moment with one out...even if he was on the edge of stall. Unless there was a genuine flight control malfunction, and then the best course of action is still to "land" straight ahead.

So I'm thinking this footage has been misinterpreted? It looks more like a low speed test or demonstration of some sort to me...maybe a certification test of some sort? Dunno what's going on here, really...need more info.

Reply to
Rufus

He did it to get a spot on You Tube.

Reply to
willshak

maybe this clears it up.

Craig

Musicman59

Actually, there was a comment in my daily American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics brief notes on it today - called it "unexplained oscillations", but took about the same stand as I do...more information required. I suspect the details will come out shortly.

Reply to
Rufus

Rufus wrote in news:Z5ydne50HOmdZiPQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com:

This was also discussed on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation. According to someone there, this was a control problem. A Tu-154 was being restored to service after being stored for 10 years. Something went wrong with the controls or sensors to the ailerons/spoilers. The control input would respond normally then deflect hard in the opposite direction. Amaxing they did not crash.

Reply to
John Stewart

John Stewart said the following on 03/05/2011 03:12:

He pressed the [Twizzle] button by mistake.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Yeah - that's what I read today...maiden flight out of long term storage. Was amazing that they got it back on the deck. I'd like to see just how stable (or not) that final approach was after the jet went out of frame behind the trees!

Reply to
Rufus

Makes one wonder if it might not have been an autopilot problem...I know of at least one instance where auto-throttles shut down both engines on a 737 in an effort to optimize fuel consumption...it had figured out for itself that "best conserve" was off...

...we fixed that.

Reply to
Rufus

I'd like to see a picture of the crew getting off after it landed...... New tighty whighty's for everybody I would imagine.

Reply to
rfranklin

It was on the news the other night and the commentator was saying it was a Tu-154 that had been parked for five years. It was taken out on a test flight. I'd say you can't trust those things. The Polish plane that crashed in Russia last year was one of those.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

A bit looks like pilot induced oscillations. Happens.

More likely engine controls or guidance hooked up wrong. Also happens. Pilot usually goes looking for ground crew with a large wrench...

Reply to
frank

Engines aren't far enough apart to cause that violent of a pitch or yaw moment if one goes south. I'm thinking flight controls or autopilot problem...

...story came out that this was a jet which was on a maiden FCF after

*long* term (10 years!) storage.

More info on the type here:

...but it's interesting to note that this jet has an anhedralled wing - never heard of such on a low wing configuration of this type/size...no wonder...couple that (or not) with fly-by-wire flight controls and disaster *will* lurk.

Reply to
Rufus