What Kit have you bought more than once and never finished any of them?

Look for the ESCI ERTL versions on Ebay. Thay have/had a Fieseler Storch and a Morane Saulnier Criquet. If the moulds still excist maybe some companie will re-issue them. that would be builders for me

I don't like building the relatively old kits. I think things that have stood the test (end teeth) of time should be kept in the best possible ORIGINAL state. That's why I collect them, and not build the oldies.

It hurts me when I see some guys offer OLD (from the late fifties/early sixties) kits on Ebay and say they are "surely still fun to build". It even hurts me more to know that some people actually build them.

But maybe I'm a young sentimental fool

Dennis Loep The Glueing Dutchman

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny ...'" Isaac Asimov

Reply to
Dennis Loep

Same mold; Scalecraft was the US importer and packaged them with their name in the seventies/eighties. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Keep thinking along those lines! I have a couple of plastic aircraft from the EARLY 1950s that I plan on releasing to eBay this fall and maybe you can rescue them from the dreaded builders out there! 8-D

The Old Timer

Kits are made to be built...even the oldies! Those are the most fun :)

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I buy them to build - my unbuilts are about 10 kits

However I have 6 under construction at the moment (Eurofighter, Tornado, Javelin, Vulcan, a Kopro Russian thingy from WW2, and a Japanese Dinah from WW2)

Tornado has been nearly finished for 3 years!

First of these to finish will be the Vulcan

Reply to
Martin (Please note spammers email address used)

After I got my 1/48 Su-7 in its final stages, I bought another for a song (it didn't have the clear parts). I'm waiting to win the lottery so I can convert it to an Su-11. Meanwhile, the first one is still waiting for me to decide on a paint scheme :-(

Airfix Hurricane. Half-assed attemp at converting it to a Mk.II, and fitting a Vokes unit leftover from the Spitfire. That went well, but then I mistakenly tried to stretch the *rear* fuselage, and goodbye fabric effect...

AMT/ERTL A-20 Boston. One was built SOB and didn't satisfy me, one (converted to a Soviet torpedo bomber) has nicely detailed wheel wells and is awaiting painting, TWO more are stashed for future inspiration. And no, I'm not selling any.

ESCI MiG-27. Man, that nose is a dog. And the Hobbycraft reissue is much, much worse :-( Hopefully I'll finish the Kazan correction by the time Hasegawa comes out with a new one.

Academy MiG-29. The one most approaching completion needs its paint job stripped. It taught me how to airbrush freehand, tho.

Ciao Bonehammer

Reply to
Bonehammer

I don't have more than two of anything. And curiously enough, I have never built anything for which I have two identical kits, except for one

1/72 Airfix Spitfire V that I converted to a floatplane about ten years ago. My 1/72 pairs:

R-G Ar 240C Tamiya Bf 109E Airfix Spitfire V (had to replace the one I used, don't you know/) Heller Tempest V Matchbox Tempest II/VI Promodeler Me 262A Sword Northrop N9M Italeri Ju 188 Heller Spitfire XVI Rareplanes Spiteful/Seafang

The two Heller pairs I bought for conversion purposes or parts donation; the extra Luftwaffe kits were won at raffles, except for the Ju 188. The other dupes are to build alternative variants, or more probably to dream of same, since not a one of these kits is on my short 'to-build' list. I am slowly working on converting one of the Ar 240Cs to an Ar 440. Very slowly.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I think that is why stamp collectors around the world are looking for the oldest and rarest stamp that is worth hundreds (maybe more) so they can send a HUGE and parcel with only one or two stamps. Right?

Because stamps are meant to be stuck on letters and parcels.

think again Buster

-- Dennis Loep The Glueing Dutchman

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny ...'" Isaac Asimov

Reply to
Dennis Loep

Buster?Are we on a nickname basis now,just because you don't want to have fun with it the way it was intended? By the way...some stamps are only issued to be saved...been there done that Are we cool now Chester? :-Þ

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I apologize for the "Buster" I didn't mean to insult you. Maybe it's me beeing Dutch and the phrase "think again Buster" is very loosly used in my group of friends. More in a funny way.

Of course any one can build kits the way they want to, but I am a firm believer that it is a shame that those kits in their original state will slowly dissapear. that's all.

What I said earlier; "Call me a young sentimental fool"

Yes, we're cool now!

-- Dennis Loep The Glueing Dutchman

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny ...'" Isaac Asimov

Reply to
Dennis Loep

good...group hug all around :-P and a PS...if its a one of a kind kit for hundreds of $$$ I wouldnt open it...I was referring to the common (but old) kits,and oldies that have been opened/started etc.Those are the ones that would be a shame to leave sitting in a mashed box.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Even I'm impressed at the scope of that; like to see it finished. Now do you have them stored in one place or keestered about the abode? tia

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Thanks. This will let me sleep better now. ;oD

Well I'd accept opened kits in my collection, but indeed the common ones are buildable, but I'd rather go for a (more) recent issue to build. And they have to be very old if they're started and I wouldn't build'em any further

So I think we're on about the same wavelength anyway.

Dennis Loep The Glueing Dutchman

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny ...'" Isaac Asimov

Reply to
Dennis Loep

sob, i'm a freak. i build them all.

I've got possibly 20 1/48 Revell Bf-109G10s, nearly half have been worked on, but I haven't finished one in almost 30 years. I've also gotten a half-dozen of the new Has. 1/32 '109s, but after building the first one in record time as a very nice OOB in the first week of local release, I've only piddled around with the rest, though I'll be finishing one with the Erla "110 style" cowl conversion I've made. Most of my subjects of interest suffer a similar fate, I might finish (or not) one, and have a pile of additional ones in various stages of incomplete.

Reply to
steve gallacci

so now i'm building yours. btw, got two walrus' in a cheap lot. i'll do one good and call it billy boat, ok? also, the hampden restored really nicely.

It's not quite the right category but I've owned a Chrysler Turbine car kit for about 35 years and I've never gotten it finished although there have been numerous attempts. Still, I'm considering grabbing one of the curbside 'kits' if I can.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

That was my original intent, too. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Sadly, no. I've got four 1/43 scale GT 40s sitting in the closet. One's opened, the rest are still sealed. I was going to assemble and repaint them to kit out a wargaming table for science fiction games. For ten bucks, the kit has an incredible amount of detail. They're even cheaper when you buy them at Michael's with the 40% off coupon they run in the paper. One day I'll get around to assembling and painting them.

No, really, I will...

--Chris

Reply to
Chris Valera

I like 1/32nd and I know about all the problems with the Revell P-47Ds. One can never have too many P-47s or Me110Gs either. Like I've read from one ahead of me. I'm gonna build em all! Big stash and love digging in it. I'm gonna put one together real soon too. Just wait! And don't tell my wife. Regards, bob

PS Don't have a Revell P-47 Bubble top for sale cheap do ya? 8^)

Reply to
Robert J. Payne