What Kit have you bought more than once and never finished any of them?

Must be time for more English in my American lexicon.

I'm pretty sure "mineral wagon" is the same as the US "coal car" ; high sides with chutes at the bottom?

"Tube wagon" is that a "gondola"-a flatbed with low sides for transporting steel tubes and rolls?

Dogfish has me completely lost? tia

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

did it fly?

I think the mineral wagons aren't necessarily as high sided as ours and some are more like gondolas.

I also think tube wagons are tank cars but you might be closer. Then again they may be subway cars.

I haven't a clue to the meaning of 'Dogfish'.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

It came out looking acceptable. But it took so long to complete that I never wanted to try such a complete kit bash again. My most recent try was converting a Me.262 (Airfix variant) into a Me.334 pusher prop. Again, tough, but going a ~lot~ easier. Fortunately I was able to blow up a 3-view to 1:72 courtesy of

and that made the set-up much easier for me.

The Old Timer

Wasn't that a submarine?

The Old Timer

Wasn't there a resin kit of the Me-334? I think I have one in my stash.

Reply to
famvburg

A&V Models.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Yes, but why would he buy so many and were they ever kitted?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

:-)

This is a British railway modeller - the jargon is unmistakeable.

The 16-ton mineral wagon looks like this

it was common to see very long trains of these, the basic "box-on-wheels". Earlier versions had wooden bodywork, and are often described by the height of their sides (5-plank, 7-plank etc)

A tube wagon is - - - for carrying tubes.

A Dogfish is ballast hopper wagon, relatively modern and very common on preserved railways who still need to renew ballast :-)

The British Railway scene is full of whimsical references like this. A Toad, for instance, is an ex-GW brake van, Mink is a box van, Queen Mary is another brake van, Grampus is a general engineering wagon. "Departmental" usually refers to equipment used by the railways own internal engineering, permenant way or other departments. Much more than you would ever want to know can be found from the stock lists of the various preserved railways in the UK.

etc etc etc

Reply to
Alan Dicey

Sure, that makes sense! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

NNOOOOOO!! Please say it ain't so, I'm about half done! Seriously its a little piece, designed by Lippisch and looks like a cross between a 262 and a 163 Komet (wings). If there was a kit, I never saw one. But then, the most I saw were the Planet Models and the Special Hobbies as well as a few others.

The Old Timer

My friends dad (ex P 51 pilot in Italy) almost had a heart attack when my friend came home and told dad he was getting an untralight. Dad immedately took him to an aviation flight school and paid for full single engine flight training. (friend is now a very good pilot IMHO)

Dad told him that if you are going to learn to fly, do it in a REAL aircraft !!!

Azzz1588

one without wires holding on the wings.

Wow, a very comprehensive answer. Thanks!

Steve H

Alan Dicey wrote:

snh9728

Guess that clears that up! Thanks.

The Old Timer

The table is for Warhammer 40,000 made by Games Workshop;

is the website. I used to be one of their company reps. It's a strategy tabletop wargame set in the far future, though it's actually set at a WWII tech level. A turn-based skirmish/squad level game.

Alternately, there's Warhammer Fantasy Battles, where fantasy units (orcs,goblins, elves, etc.) operate in regiment formation. Also turn-based.

Model are 28mm, or 1/60th scale. As for the table, both games need just a green matt with some simple terrain. WFB needs less terrain, typically two forest pieces and a small cottage. 40K needs ruined buildings and such, which they make.

As for making the table, you can just grab an 8x4 sheet of plywwod and add battens, or you can go all out and make a full table with legs. Making a gaming table has always nben one of my dreams, along with having glass cabinets, and a full-blown gaming room. A table is at least doable, and fairly cheap.

Good luck. The only thing I've seen in stated 1:60 scale is the Dictator from Hellion Productions;

I converted one for use in Warhammer 40,000;
Other large kits in a close scale are the big Battletech kits from Armorcast
They do have a flatbed truck though.

Games Workshop also makes various tank kits. No cars though.

Probably Patlabor, though there's a million different anime shows out there. If Initial D ever has real kits made, it'll be good times for car enthusiasts.

All the Foundry stuff is good. The Perry twins also scult for Games Workshop. GW is pretty much where it's at when it comes to sci-fi and fantasy gaming. Check 'em out. The cost of an army to start is about $200. The next edition of Warhammer 40,000 is due out in early September, you may want to wait till then, and grab a box set. Cost is $50. Hit up their website and check out Imperial Guard (Cadians) and also the Space Marines. This is a preview of the "static-pose" Space Marines that'll be in the new box:

You can also buy the kit form, which has seperate head, torso, legs, shoulder pads, weapon, and various extra ammo pouches, grenades and things. Most of their toy soldier kits are made like that.

--Chris

Reply to
Chris Valera

no transwald rr on the reading?

The mineral wagon looks like what I thought it did. Obviously I was off on the others. Once I seriously considered buying some South African wagons of that design for the HO railroad. I put off considering them too long and someone else grabbed the lot. Best really, as they wouldn't have looked quite right on a railroad in Pennsylvania.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Thanks much for the elucidation Alan. Turns out the US "coal car" is close to the dogfish and the mineral wagon is exclusive to the UK (and perhaps Europe?) Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

You mean coal hoppers, like these?

The mineral wagon is just an older design, more or less a colliery tub up-engineered a bit.

Many old-fashioned items of rolling stock persisted on British railways because, well, they still worked, and there wasn't the willingness to spend money on replacing them. There were an awful lot of them, with not a vacuum or air brake to be seen, meaning that goods trains ran everywhere at 20mph or so. Easy pickings for road hauliers to take the business away.

Reply to
Alan Dicey