Where to buy the cement and supplies.

I have been reading (and lurking) here for quite awhile trying to get myslef ready to get back into the hobby after a 25+ year hiatus.

I have read a number of threads here about cementing and welding plastic parts. I would like to be able to find the cheaper replacements for the popular liquid cements. I found a local store that carries MEK, Xyline, Touline, Laquer Solvent, and Mineral Spirits.

What I have not been able to find is a source for the safer counterpart, Ethyl Acetate. I would also like to find a source for Pro-Weld or Weld-on. Any other hints or comments will be appreciated.

I live in the northern Detroit suburbs, Michigan, USA.

Thanks Rich

Reply to
Drasher

Weld-On is available at most commercial plastic supply companies. MEK, Xyline, Touline, should be left on the shelf of your local shop, you don't need them. Lacquer thinner is useful for cleaning and a pint should last you several months if not years. I supply a great thinner (shameless plug) for enamels and I can special order the Weld-On for you. Some of the suppliers will not sell direct to the consumer. Otherwise you could purchase Tenax at your local hobby shop. I mostly use Weld-On 3 for my builds but when the plastic is too soft for it I use the cooler Tenax. Both work great. Once you start using them, you'll wonder why tube glue was invented.

Reply to
Hawkeye

My own favorite liquid glue is testors non toxic.In my experience it's as strong (or nearly so) as regular liquid glues,without the strong fumes that always gave me headaches.It's rather hard to find unless you order it directly from testors at about $3 each.It comes in a little squeeze bottle that I cut open and pour into a glass jar.

eyeball

Is that the orange smelling glue that they came out with in the late 70s due to the dorks sniffing the regular toluene glue for kicks?

Reply to
willshak

This has the same blue label as the tube you are thinking about,but works a lot better.I've applied too much of this liquid version and accidentally melted a few pieces! It is slightly thicker then standard testors liquid. But the blue tube is lemon scented.Didn't pactra (or someone else?) do the orange scent?

Reply to
eyeball

tube glue was invented for cheap psychedelic expiriences.

Reply to
someone

Yes, I think it was Pactra. I used to work in a small 12' x 10' room and the toluene based glue used to give me a headache, and probably killed off a bunch of brain cells, since I now have CRS. :-)

Reply to
willshak

FWIW, I have used some of these substitute compounds for glue, liked some of them - especially Weld On, but since I've tried Tamiya's super thin liquid cement, I'll not use anything else aside from cyanoacrylates. I've found lacquer thinner to be very useful in airbrushing but holds little value as a cement. Mineral spirits, ditto but great in airbrush use. While they may be less expensive to buy, you can't count on their effectiveness like a purpose-made product like Weld On or Tamiya. Just my opinion...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

I've always purchased Tenax from Micromark ,in lots of a dozen bottles because of the distance from them . I see now they have changed their product line and don't market Tenax at all.They market Pro-weld instead . Due to my modelling taking a back burner status to building a new kitchen and other house hold jobs ,the last order of Tenax should last a long time.I keep it in my workshop refridgerator tp prevent evaporation

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

IIRC, both Tenax and Pro-weld use Methylene Chloride as their main ingredient. Nasty stuff but it works very well.

Pro-weld is cheaper than Tenax. You could also just look for a plastic supplier in your area and pick up a quart of acrylic liquid adhesive. That stuff is also methylene chloride and *MUCH* cheaper than either above mentione brands.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Thanks to those who replied.