Which Tornado?

Which 1/72 Tornado kit would you recommend? Airfix, Hasegawa or Revell?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Enzo,

I'd go for the Revell. The Hasegawa one is nice, but has issues with the nose. These were corrected by Tim Perry's PP Aeroparts set and I think that set is still marketed by Dave Parkin of Flightpath. I first built the Airfix kit when it was the Panavia MRCA!

regards,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

GR1/4 or F3?

GR4 go for the Revell, way better than the rest, way way better

Reply to
Jules

Thanks Chris. I too built the Airfix MRCA. I would have thought that it would have been totally updated by now. I think I was fooled by the new GR4 kit having an extra sprue for weapons that seem to be unavailable elsewhere. However, I'm most unlikley to build a Tornado carrying Storm Shadow - one of the most unreliable weapons ever. Alarms are apparently available in the Revell kit and a Hasegawa weapons kit provides a GBU-24, which can be tweaked into a Paveway III. Seems like there is no reason for the Airfix kit then.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Well, both...

Thanks Jules. Revell it is then.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Enzo Matrix) wrote in :

I got this reply on another forum when I asked a similar question:

"The best Tornado kit is the Revell one which is a GR.3 that includes ALARM as well as British 1000lb LGB's the Revell 1/72 Tornado GR1 also includes ALARMs, the Revell GR-1 & ECR is probably the best kits for an IDS version. The Airfix GR-4 is an upgraded sprue added to their old MRCA kit and as such is over 20 yrs old and not to todays standards For an F-3 go with the Italeri or better the Revell Boxing of the same kit (better decals) 04375 For a GR4 in 1/72 Revell Germany with the Airwaves or Model Alliance update bits, or the Airfix kit as a 'donor' for all the bits."

Esci also did a GR1/IDS, theirs has the German MW-1 mine dispenser (which isn't in the Airfix or Revell kits).

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Thanks Harro. That's a unanimous vote for the Revell kit. I guess my mind is made up.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

As others say its the best by a long shot, never built it, got a couple myself though.

The F3 is the same kit in the Itaeri or Revell box, built some years ago, im no rivit counter and the only thng that stands out way wrong is the frame of teh canopy, i think the same was with the Hase kit.

Reply to
Jules

IMHO for GR1/4 go Revell, but for F.3 the Hasegawa ain't too shabby.

Happy modelling Ant

Reply to
Ant Phillips