Aackh..Parts auto-hiding in drawings!

I've a 1500 part assembly made up of 77 unique sub-assy's which are made from 480 unique parts, etc. Basic big machine stuff, I guess.

I made the assy in 2001+sp6, it's about 26Mb after doing a couple SaveAs's to try to shrink it a bit. In 2K1+ it would not create a drawing view without automatically hiding random parts.

After cursing a while I found that I could dig down the Tree to the offending hidden part right which I could find only by looking for the 'bounding box' on the screen as all the Icons in the Tree showed all parts to be visible. I'd right click the part, selest Show Part, SWX would do its magic and the part would show.

This would also cause the other previously "hidden" parts Icons to change to show me they were indeed Hidden. So I could dig thru the others and do the same to get all the parts to show.

When we switched to 2003, I could create a complete drawing and I all was good...until this morning when I created another view, some parts of some sub-assys were hidden, I was able to 'recover' the parts as described above, but it sure is a PITA.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Could it be video card related?

Thanks

Reply to
whit

You might also try toggling the Use fast HLR/HLV. I've seen that make a difference whether on or off.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Try and disable "Automatic hiding of components on view creation", under Tools-> Options-> Large Assembly Mode.

Regards, Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Now someone comes through with the RIGHT answer. =^)

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I wasn't sure about the card since when I built the machine I sort of went cheap there with a 128Mb "game" card- works pretty good most of the time.

I tried CTRL+Q to no avail.

I hadn't tried the Drawing View Properties before, I just did try it on the 2K1+ assy here at work, there was a *huge* list of hidden components and since this is sort of a crap assy anyway I simply Cleared all the items in the list...

...that worked! At first all the sketches in parts and subs showed up and wouldn't disappead even after unchecking Sketches, and Hide All Types in the View Pulldown. But another CTRL+Q did it, everything is there like I wanted. (Working over a network)

Thank you!

Whit

Corey Scheich wrote:

Reply to
whit

What kind of silly option is *that*!?

That did it! I guess it thinks these parts are hidden behind other parts (?)

bizarro, IMHO

"Mike J. Wils>

Reply to
whit

Well I spoke too soon. It worked on sheet 1 of 4 but other sheets still had parts hidden, but with these suggestions I should be able to get things done a little quicker.

Thanks folks

Whit

whit wrote:

Reply to
whit

Yeah you would have to do this for each view since it can be different for each one. I thought that maybe you could do it from another sheet but you have to switch to each sheet.

A macro would take care of it for you. But I can't figure out how to reset the list that way. There is View::EnumHiddenComponents2 I could retrieve it but don't know how to reset it. I don't know much about resetting enumerated lists. Someone else may be able to do it.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Actually it was Mike's System Option that I was saying I spoke too soon about, the Drawing Prop's Hide/Show works well but is still crusty slow, much quicker than my old way, but...

Luckily(?) it seems to happen only on very large assemblies (>1000 parts?), though I don't see how anyone could work on a 5000 or 15000 part assembly drawing. We don't have a PMD yet either so all this gets squeezed over a network, it can take 3-5 minutes after hitting Save or CRTL+Q before I can do anything again.

If I can get these drawings done, SWX2004sp2 may be out before I have to do another set this large

Thanks for the help

Corey Scheich wrote:

Reply to
whit

I've never noticed that setting - why would you ever want it???? It seems that if you want to create a view it's because you want to have parts in it.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I work on 5,000+ part assembly drawings and had a problem with parts hiding until I edumicated myself as to that setting. Bad thing about that setting is that if you project a view and parts are unknowingly hid in the parent view the projected view makes it very obvious (as in same parts hidden)! I wish they would expand on this functionality so you can select a view, hit a button and toggle whether hidden parts in the view should be hidden from regenerating or made to show. I think this would really increase LA drawing performance by far, especially cropped, detail and section views. The other problem is that the list is static meaning it only generates that list when the view is created. So if you add parts after the view is created they don't automatically hide if they are hidden in view. I will say that 2004 has really helped us out a lot with our LA drawings.

Reply to
Jeff N

I guess being a n00bie to SWX, about a year behind the wheel, I don't even understand why such an option exists. The view was created from the "Current Model View" when I first placed it, with all the parts showing or hidden that I wanted showing or hidden.

Why would the software make some seemingly random decision to hide seemingly random parts?

hence the "Aackh!"

Jeff N wrote:

Reply to
Whit