Calculating total costs in a BOM

I'd like to get a BOM to show the cost of an assembly. I was hoping to be able to add a "unit cost" custom property to the parts/sub-assys that comprise the assembly, have another BOM column where I multiply this value by the item quantity to give total item cost, and then (hopefully) total up this column to give the cost of the assembly.

The "unit cost" bit I can manage, but not the rest. Obviously this can be done if I export a vanilla BOM to Excel and manipulate the values there, but this will not update as the design progresses.

Am I asking for the impossible? I used to use Radan Radraft in my last job ( a truly awful 2D drafting package) and it could do this.

Regards, John H

Reply to
John H

no need to export it--just use the Excel BOM inside SW

Reply to
Michael

Thanks Michael. I was just about to post again to say that I'd managed to do it in the built-in BOM! I'd assumed I'd have to do it with an Excel BOM, and couldn't work out how - I'm pretty sure the "equation" ability for BOM's wasn't in 2004, so I hadn't checked until I found myself up a blind alley.

Works a treat now.

John H

Reply to
John H