convert dwg to model

Is there a way to convert a 3 view Autocad drawing to a model? I can import as sketches but my boss thinks there is a way to click on the views & SW will generate the model. Thanks.

Pat Callaghan Engineer Tech. The Western Group

Reply to
Pat Callaghan

in the past I have exported a/cad drgs as igs files and imported them into SW, you end up with a model of the part but you are un-able to change the models dimensions

Reply to
Tim Bird

Ask him to show you how.........I don't think I've ever seen it done, but if he can do it that would be great. I have alot of 3 view acad drawings that need to be converted.

Noel

Reply to
Noel Jones

yes, you can! go into swx help. about 4 items down from the top in the index tab is '2D to 3D conversion'. check it out. hella cool. it is a little slow at first, but once you get the hang of it, you will rock. guaranteed.

Reply to
bob zee

I personally think that the 2D to 3D was more of a demo tool for SW demo jocks. But maybe Bob Z. is right you may just need to get the hang of it. I guess it all depends on how complex the parts are. I personally think you can model the parts from scratch just as fast. If you are new user, creating them from scratch will be good experience and also will allow you to incorporate design intent.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
SWuser

The 2d to 3d ar vey cool. They mostly help you get your sketches arranged and make some cuts and bosses that might otherwise be a nuisance. Definitely more than just something for a demo jock to play with.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Converting 2d to 3d seems like a quick way to get a lot of part models done. But ask yourself if the completed part model follows all of your design intent rules and how good are those models to work with? If they behave properly when you use them in assemblies and such they may be just fine. If you find yourself dreading to copy one of these for another part because of the problems working with them, then creating them from scratch is a better option. There is a real difference between the cost to do them correctly in the first place and the value of good geometry in the future.

Reply to
EricSIG

bob z. would like to add that he generally only uses the 2d to 3d tools when creating purchased parts - parts that should never be altered anyway (within reason). no real issues with design intent in this manner.

Reply to
bob zee

Heck, with 6 years experience I am still learning new things everyday about SolidWorks.

Reply to
SWuser