FYI....Intstallation times

2/4/04 Bulletin - Installation SolidWorks 2004 SP2.1

To help diagnose installation problems, the Service Pack 2.1 installation had the verbose diagnostic logging feature enabled. This feature caused an increase in the time to apply sp 2.1 To remedy this problem, sp 2.1 downloaded on or after 4 February 2004 now has logging disabled by default. You will find this significantly reduces the time to install sp 2.1.

The only change is to the sp 2.1 installation program itself, and the resulting SolidWorks sp 2.1 installation is functionally identical to the previous version. Therefore, customers with sp 2.1 already installed do not need to download and reapply this Service Pack.

begin 666 ghost.gif J1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```$!,@`[ ` end

Reply to
News

Thanks to "someone", the newsgroup has been alerted to the presence of a new bulletin.

As one who has been forced to waste precious time due to the prior enabling of the installer's "verbose diagnostic logging feature", I am disappointed to not have been notified (as part of a broadcast from SolidWorks) by the Corporation itself which certainly has a vested interest in the trouble-free and speedy installation of its software.

O.K. one could say that it's easy to check the support site at SolidWorks.com; however, I haven't been making a practice of looking there just in case something new of interest might be found there.

While there may be times when enabling the "verbose diagnostic logging feature" provides an important troubleshooting option, I don't understand why it would have been enabled by default. I can't claim to know much about the inner workings of the Windows Installer, but suggest that it would make sense to set the logging feature to OFF by default and have a user configurable option for turning it on, if the need arises.

Hopefully, SolidWorks didn't fully realize the burden being created by enabling the logger!

I haven't tried an upgrade to SP2.1 with the new download, but can tell you that the previous patch (from 1/26/04) made the process similar to trying to drive at high speed on the interstate while having the emergency brake fully engaged...

SolidWorks Corporation should act to notify ALL users directly in an attempt to save (collectively) countless hours!

Per O. Hoel ________________________________________________________________

Reply to
Per O. Hoel

No. The download has taken about 8 hours so far with a few more to go.

If the eight hours isn't wasted, then I'm OK right? But how do I know it will work? I'm going to have to try downloading the rest of the file and installing it. If there is a problem, I have to go through the entire 12 hour download process again.

I guess my point is that if SolidWorks changes *anything* to their Service Packs, they need to change the revision. This violates the integrity of the numbering scheme. Surely anyone can see this???

How are we the customers, to tell the difference now between SP2.1 old and SP2.1 new? These are two different files, therefore two different Service Pack versions. Am I missing something?

I don't have access to a fast internet connection at this time so for me, having to re-download is a big deal. I'm going to D/L the remaining portion and see what happens.

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Mike, Slow install times aside, I think most have been able to get the installation to work. You've seen the posts from Per and others, and yes there are some that had to run around in circles to get it accomplished. Make sure you look at the other bulletins on the SolidWorks site if you have problems. And, don't give up too quickly on an install. There are times when it seems to stall only to pick back up and finish eventually.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

OK, now I see. I just saw Greg's post in the forum. This is part of the new "were listening" campaign. I'll go easy on 'em!

BTW, what got me heated up here was the fact that I had

2.0 Eval Version installed, and when I tried the 2.0 to 2.1 patch, it wouldn't work. I assumed (and still do) that I just plain mucked up my system from all of my experimentation.

When I saw that they changed something without altering the version number I got suspicious.

I'll go ahead and sum up my observations and post them in the forum.

Thanks Richard, Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Mike, Since you've got such a slow connection, why not ask your VAR for a copy of the SP's burned to a CD? I'll bet they would do that for you.

Dave H

Mike J. Wils> OK, now I see. I just saw Greg's post in the forum. This

Reply to
Dave H

That's an excellent suggestion. Right now I'm on the road, far from my VAR so it's difficult. It's just one of those rare circumstances.

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson