How to copy bodies

Hi there,

i am a novice in solidworks, but is it possible to copy a single bodie from the featuremanager tree to another drawing or part? I want, when i have drawed an multiple bodie part to make separat drawings or parts so it will be more easy to manufactur it.

thanks,

Bennie

Reply to
Bennie

Try using configurations. Create a new configuration(of the multibody part) and use the "delete bodies" function to delete/hide the bodies you don't want to see.They are still available in the feature tree if needed. Create as many configurations from the original multibody part as you need for drawings. See "Help" menu.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

Sounds like you should be working with assemblies and components instead of multi-body parts.

Reply to
That70sTick

You can use the feature command 'save bodies' , specify a folder and assembly name and it will convert your multibody part into a derived assembly.

You can right click on a body and insert it into a new part (it will be a derived body in the new part)

You can use the drawing command called 'relative view' - then select the 2 reference faces from one body only and only that body will appear in your drawing. However projecting views can be difficult so you may need to use 'auxillary view' instead of projected.

But as mentioned, depending on what your doing it may be better to be using multiple parts / assemblies.

Zander

Bennie wrote:

Reply to
Zander

Bennie,

Using multibodies this way is an accident waiting to happen. Multibodies was originally intended as a construction aid toward creating single parts, not the other way around. The folks at SW didn't limit the functionality, in fact, you can pretty much do anything you want with it. This doesn't mean you should.

I just finished up untangling a monstrous hairball project. The original designer had done the whole huge outer plastic assembly as a multibody. Not only that but there were SEVERAL completely different versions in the same part. it must have had over 1000 complex features, and was totally usless as the basis for a production design. The reasons for this are many, and if I have four or five spare hours someday, I'll write them down.

Granted, this is an extreme case (and the guy is a little nutz), but you should use assemblies, not multibodies.

Mark

Reply to
MM

I agree as I've seen stuff like this before. I do use multibody for 2 things: mold design and weldments which are both designed around a multibody enviroment.

Zander

MM wrote:

Reply to
Zander

Zander,

Me too. They're also usefull fo modelling purchased parts.

I've also designed intake manifolds, where I just use it as a construction tool.

Mark

Reply to
MM