My first "not bad" render in Maxwell Render if you're interested

Paul, what you need to do now, is to get your hands on this:

Listen how Mr. Williams says "Goddamn" several times during the show.

Thats how I would like this to sound:

Goddamn thats awesome....

Reply to
Kvick

Interesting user interface. Reminds me of my Canon and Pentax. Awfully slow shutter for all that light.

Reply to
TOP

I think John means 1/15s - you input the shutter speed in 1/*** - its just the 1/ is not written before the 'entry' box. A quirk that I think is being addressed in the final release.

The aperture and shutter speed is built into Maxwell so that when it is fully released ( currently beta) and used with appropriate software where the subject moves, then one can use the shutter speed to control motion blur.

It is a very intuitive interface if you have done any manual photography., which is what makes it very appealing - the very quick setup times.

TTFN

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

I added a simple layout on the image, 2 rectangle planes with a white material constant (acting as a light panel or area light), plus I sometimes add a point light to increase the intensity since SW CORP REFUSES TO GIVE US CONTROL OVER WHAT A CONSTANT VALUE CAN EMIT (or make the panel not visible to the camera??)?!?!?! That is, we do not work with physical values in PW, such as known emission values or what the camera is doing relative to a real camera!!! So,.. we workaround, workaround,... and workaround... it's very cost effect!?!?!

Personally, PW continues to be a half ass implemented fubar, like most of SW addins! PW = consistently PhotoWrong! PW is always half of this or half of that or half working so,.. we workaround and workaround per release and per sp...

BTW, LightWave (well version 5 they may have fixed this in version 8 or

9??) had a similar problem, (although the camera worked like a real camera) they worked with light values which were not consistent with the real world. From what I've read about Maxwell, they are doing what should be done, working with real values and terms which are consistent in the world and industry!

Sorry, I've seen enough lately with SW and PW that NOTHING IS really CHANGING with how SW Corp does business,.. a slow progression with partial implementations to round out percieved market interest = potential revenue.

Slowly implemented workarounds with programmers breaking and fixing code per release cycle and sp...

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Even though the PW user interface sucks, I actually like Paul's rendering better, because it looks dirtier. All of the renderings I see look unbelievably clean, totally untouched by human hands, protected in some kind of clean room where nothing ever tarnishes or rusts. I want real parts, with a bit of grease, some dirt, a few scratches.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

:( Yup- as good as Photoworks renders get- the software is lagging so sorely behind. It should be a matter of taking your model and photographing it. Solidworks engineers are not renderers. They dont give a crap. Not a creative drop there. They need to hire photographers, CG artists anybody who would know how to use the software!!!!

Reply to
parel

Ooops that was 1/15 sec

This time in glass, actually borosilicate BSC1 with RGB values of

210,210,210.

The render is still in progress, as I post this, they upper red insert looks a little dark and the banding is probably because the items are perfectly coincident -- I think. The red insert was modelled in context to a converted edge of the upper clamp.

Because the render is still in progress I can still adjust, some of settings, to modify the outcome in Maxwell. So I'll change the following settings. To see if I can increase the overall brightness, to brighten the the Red insert without (I hope) overexposing the image.

Burn was .5 changed to .1 ISO was 100 changed to 150 Shutter 1/100 unchanged.

I'll go have dinner and post the final outcome later.

John Layne

John Layne

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:33:04 +1200, John Layne settings. To see if I can increase the overall brightness, to brighten

John - now your showing off!!

How do you manage to keep the noise down - when ever I have used a dielectric the noise makes the picture unusable.

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:33:04 +1200, John Layne settings. To see if I can increase the overall brightness, to brighten

Reply to
jjs

Hi Jonathan

1/ Lot's of light 2/ Set high RGB Values, in this case 224,224,224. For dielectrics you can probably go to 255,255,255 3/ No U and V roughness on dielectric materials. 4/ You can set the adde number of the dielectric to above 150 that will reduce noise but you will get no chromatic aberration, in this case I left at the default setting. 5/ Cheat- Render at high resolutions 1600 x 1200 in this case, de-noise in Photoshop and downscale the image to get back lost sharpness. 6/ If you have any diffuse or plastic materials in the scene that have high reflectance values the whole scene will be full of noise. There is an article in the tutorial forums on Noise "Avoid High Reflectance (updated with plastics)"

You may already know about High Reflectance values but I'll summarise, just in case I've got it wrong so someone else can put me right.

For white The highest RGB value of 255,255,255 will create an unnatural colour. Nothing in real life is that white. Bleached White paper is 225,225,225 since Maxwell is based on real Physics that is the absolute limit to which you should set any Plastic or diffuse material

The max limits for diffuse should normally be around:

210 to 224 for each of the RGB values. i.e. 224,224,224 for white 224,0,0 for red etc

The limits for plastics is the sum of the basic colour plus the specular colour. i.e. if the base colour for white plastic is

200,200,200 Then the specular colour should not exceed 24,24,24

So far I have only used grey values as the specular colour. Other extreme values will produce those "weird car paints" that seem to have two different colours dependent on the viewing angle.

I'm hoping that some of the noise / render time issues will be addressed in the release version next month. Plus the new material "generator", for wont of a better word, should help a lot.

John Layne

John Layne

Reply to
John Layne

The final render not as I hoped, it did increase the brightness but not in the area of the upper red insert.

I'll offset the mate to be a distance of .01 and see if it improves the banding. I'll also change the colour of the glass from 224,224,224 to

255,255,255. And have play with prisms

John Layne

John Layne

Added a Diamond Prism to the scene, with this added dielectric the render time has shot up considerably, this is after 8 hours. It still has a lot of noise.

John Layne

John Layne

Just checked the Maxwell forum, there is a bug in the Beta with excessively dark shadows through dielectrics -- hence the top of the insert is too dark.

Can't wait for the release version of Maxwell, I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas

John Layne

John Layne