OT sort of - switching back and forth

Sort of OT but also sort of related to us.

I have my machine set up to dual boot to XP32 & XP64 so I can try things and take advantage of the 64 bit environment for converting UG & CATIA files. I can't just stay in the 64 bit side because I can't get into our PDM vault yet. But while working on that 64 bit side, I would like to interact with this NG, and I use Outlook Express as my newsreader. I know that it's not the hottest thing out there for that, but it works fairly well for my use.

So, while on the 64 bit side, I changed the file location of that installation of OE to point to the same location as my 32 bit side install, thinking that they would both just open the same files and pick up where the other left off. What I find instead is that when I open the 64 bit side, it appears to start over and I have to redownload the messages, just as a new install. So, since I figured that somehow I hadn't told it to use the same files, I went back to the 32 bit side to look at settings, and found all my messages gone. It would appear that I did have the correct location, and the 64 bit install rewrote the files.

Has anyone already worked through this before?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Haven't worked through that before, but I might try using Thunderbird for your newsreader.

I wouldn't be surprised if it would react like you wish. There's details on their website illustrating how to move user profiles, and I assume it might work well for what you wish.

--Matt Schroeder

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
Matt Schroeder

Wayne you might want to try out Windos Live mail beta.

ambush

Reply to
ambush