PartNo property

Can someone explain this to me. Using SW2005 Sp3.1. What is the purpose of the PartNo property? When I use the SW BOM, the Part Number column is filled in with either: Document Name, Configuration name, or User Specified Name, as chosen in the Configuration Properties manager. Anything I enter in a part file's PartNo property doesn't come through to the BOM.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

This is because SW will use either the document name or the configuration name for part number. This is set in configuration properties. If you want to use the PartNo custom property then you will have to customize your BOM template.

Reply to
TOP

Yeah, but who uses the PartNo custom property when the configuration property is available? Is there a reason someone uses one over another? It just seems kind of confusing have 2 places to enter the part number.

Aaron

T> This is because SW will use either the document name or the

Reply to
Aaron

Whether you use the document name, the configuration name or the custom property named PartNo is totally up to the user. You will find in the lang/english directory a file called properties.txt in which the field names that you see when you edit custom properties are defined. You can edit this file to contain anything you like. If you think you don't need PartNo then don't use it and simply use Document name or configuration name in a drawing.

It would be a nice enhancement to have more system information available in the configuration editor.

Reply to
TOP