Rebuilding configurations

I made a part that has 50 configurations controlled by a design table and equations. I revised the part by changing 2 dimensions that are the same in all configurations. In order to get each configuration to update with the new dimensions, I either have to change to the configuration and hit ctrl-q twice, or I have to open then close the sketch in which the two changed dimensions are applied.

Does anyone recognize this problem? I originally drew the parts in SW2003, now I'm using SW2006.

Can anyone tell me how to write a macro that will cycle through each configuration and rebuild it twice?

Thanks,

Reply to
JKimmel

By "design table and equations" I hope you mean equations inside the Design Table? I rarely use the SW Equations and I have never used them in conjunction with a Design Table. I'd start there.

I just noticed that you said this worked in SW2003...have you opened the file with SW2006, hit save, and then closed it? Not having it converted to SW2006 will cause slowdowns. This is true for any files you try to open (or components of an assembly you may open) that were made pre-SW2006.

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man

No, actually I did use the SW Equations. This is the first time I've ever heard that they might cause problems, so I'm glad I asked. Yes, the parts are saved as SW 2006.

Thanks,

Reply to
JKimmel

Sounds like you have circular reference in your equations if you have to rebuild it twice. This often happens if an equation dimension references a reference dimension for it's value. The model has to rebuild once to get the reference dimension value...then again to solve the equation.

If this is the case...you may want to try replacing that particular equation with a sketch relations and maybe a reference sketch.

JKimmel wrote:

Reply to
Jason

We have run into this as well. The thing is with these parts is there is no equations in the part. We have to open each configuration and do a forced rebuild to get it to appear correct. Also no design tables either.

Another thing that can cause this is an equation referencing a driven dimension (reference dimension) that changes due to the rebuild. When the driven dimension is down in the tree, and the equation referencing this dimension is driving a dimension that's early in the tree, it would seem logical that it could potentially take 2 rebuilds to resolve.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I've typically seen the "double rebuild" problem with parts with feature patterns - the source feature updates with the first rebuild, and the patterned features update with the second. This may also be due to using an equation to drive the pattern spacing (which I often do), but I wouldn't normally drive it with a reference dimension.

John H

Reply to
John H

To add to Jason's comments (which I believe are correct), Pro/E has 2 little utilities that provided for 2 simple solutions; #1 - Sort Relations - This command does exactly what it's name implies, it sorts equations in the order required so that no loops exist. #2 - Check or Verify All Configurations - This command is executed to make the system automatically rebuild every configuration and in doing so, notify the user of any configuration that encounters an error. I've submitted these as enhancements in the past (nothing lately) as I believe the requests fell on deaf ears. In a way, it is really sad, because Solidworks could be the CAD package we all want it to be if they would just incorporate the little things that other CAD packages do so much better. For an enhancement to be taken seriously, it has to be 1 of 2 things; a top ten vote getter at SWW or the entire SW Community needs to scream for it. Okay, there is one other way to get something incorporated in SolidWorks and that would be an "AutoCAD" thingy that is deemed necessary to capture that market. Alright, one more way to be included in SoidWorks is to have Sales & Marketing come up with there list of "must haves". This wonderful marketing tool includes the following "gems" from past releases; textures, color swatches, 3D Instant WEB Noodles, WEB Folders, etc. Sorry for the rant but it has been a while. Regards, ................Eddie

Reply to
Eddie