Shaded With Edges Mode Problem in SP3.0

I think I have found a minor problem in SW04 SP3.0 with the Shaded With Edges mode.
I have always used and worked in Shaded With Edges mode since it became
available. All of my files and templates are saved this way. Since SP3.0, I have noticed that some files that I open (about 15%) will open in Shaded (no edges) mode. Not that big of a deal, just one of those nuisances that should not happen.
I found something today to take this problem one step further. I have got an assembly that has 6 parts in it. None of these had been opened since around SW04 SP1.0. I opened each of these parts today individually with the assembly NOT open. Out of these 6, there were 4 that opened in Shaded-No Edges mode (which is NOT how they were saved). I then closed them all without saving. Then I opened the assembly and it opened just like it was saved in Shaded With Edges mode. With the assembly open this time, I opened each of the 6 parts again and ALL of them opened properly in Shaded With Edges mode. I then closed everything (no save) and re-opened just the parts again. Same as before, 4 out of 6 opened in Shaded (no edges) mode. For some reason, having the assembly open caused the parts to open in their correct visibility mode.
Anyone seen anything like this? Solutions?
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

I have recently seen something like this, but I haven't spent enough time with it to find a pattern.
Hypothesis: perhaps any particular SolidWorks session presumes that if the user is working on an Assembly in Shaded-with-edges mode (or Shaded-no-edges) that he/she would like to work on Parts opened from within that Assembly in the same fashion, and otherwise it opens Parts in the manner in which they were last Saved. ?
Somebody besides me will have to pay close attention to what it's doing . . . I'm mostly still working with SW2003, as I find the 2004 interface to be awkward, and also many of my standard hotkeys won't work consistently. I've only recently "upgraded", as I held off until SP3.0 was released AND until I got a client that actually requires the new flavor. I'm tired of getting hosed by incredibly premature releases. This is one reason why I no longer post so many comments trying to be helpful -- I don't work on the current release until I'm dragged kicking and screaming into installing it. Anybody (poor, misled suckers) out there going to try the beta of SW2005? You're a better man tham I am, Gunga Din. Or at least you have a stronger stomach.
'Sporky'
Dale Dunn wrote:

I tend to disagree. Like I said in the first post, all of my files (these files included in the word all) are saved in Shaded-with-edges mode. This visibility setting IS a document setting and not a system setting. So whichever mode the file was saved in should be the way it reopens. This is definitely something that just started in SW04 SP3.0.
I do find this a nuisance, but it has not bothered me enough to do something about it,,,,YET. I was mainly posting to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and/or if they new of a simple fix.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

Interesting. I had to go back to 03 recently, and that feels awkward to me. So many tools missing.
I've only recently "upgraded", as I held off until

The purpose of the beta is to try to prevent the things that cause a release to be premature. It can't get fixed if it's not reported.
Dale Dunn wrote: ...(clip)...

Oh of course. I was just ranting.

Ah, therapy. I understand now.
I am having the same problem - not a major pain so I haven't complained yet.
Do you also notice that each SP using the 'new improved' (NOT) installation method tends to muck around with some of the system settings - e.g. hot keys no longer work, some system options change. Again a minor pain so I haven't said anything.
Merry :-)

SP3.0,
the
opened
parts
Merry,
I have not noticed system settings changing from SP to SP. That doesn't mean that it hasn't happened though.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

Brad,
That doesn't seem to be the problem. I have it set to 700 parts.
Honestly, I have never had a need to use LAM. All of my assemblies are below this number. There are some that are close, but that is why I adjusted it from the default 600 (I think) to 700. I really don't want to use LAM if I absolutely don't have to. My system seems to handle up to this number quite nice.
Thanks anyway.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

SP3.0,
I'm running SP2.1 and a number of my files open Shaded only now, so I don't think it's a 3.0 problem.
This is interesting. I used SP2.1 for some time and don't recall this problem starting until SP3.0. I could be wrong though.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

I hadn't noticed it until I read your message. It seems to show up more often on my more complex parts.
With me, complexity does not cause it to happen more or not. The example that I originally posted was 6 simple plates with a variety of holes in them. Definitely not complex.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

After I posted I realized that it was probably just coincidence that I noticed it first on a couple of my more complex parts. I've also seen it on relatively simple parts.