Shaded With Edges Mode Problem in SP3.0

I think I have found a minor problem in SW04 SP3.0 with the Shaded With Edges mode.

I have always used and worked in Shaded With Edges mode since it became available. All of my files and templates are saved this way. Since SP3.0, I have noticed that some files that I open (about 15%) will open in Shaded (no edges) mode. Not that big of a deal, just one of those nuisances that should not happen.

I found something today to take this problem one step further. I have got an assembly that has 6 parts in it. None of these had been opened since around SW04 SP1.0. I opened each of these parts today individually with the assembly NOT open. Out of these 6, there were 4 that opened in Shaded-No Edges mode (which is NOT how they were saved). I then closed them all without saving. Then I opened the assembly and it opened just like it was saved in Shaded With Edges mode. With the assembly open this time, I opened each of the 6 parts again and ALL of them opened properly in Shaded With Edges mode. I then closed everything (no save) and re-opened just the parts again. Same as before, 4 out of 6 opened in Shaded (no edges) mode. For some reason, having the assembly open caused the parts to open in their correct visibility mode.

Anyone seen anything like this? Solutions?

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I have recently seen something like this, but I haven't spent enough time with it to find a pattern.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Hypothesis: perhaps any particular SolidWorks session presumes that if the user is working on an Assembly in Shaded-with-edges mode (or Shaded-no-edges) that he/she would like to work on Parts opened from within that Assembly in the same fashion, and otherwise it opens Parts in the manner in which they were last Saved. ?

Somebody besides me will have to pay close attention to what it's doing . . . I'm mostly still working with SW2003, as I find the 2004 interface to be awkward, and also many of my standard hotkeys won't work consistently. I've only recently "upgraded", as I held off until SP3.0 was released AND until I got a client that actually requires the new flavor. I'm tired of getting hosed by incredibly premature releases. This is one reason why I no longer post so many comments trying to be helpful -- I don't work on the current release until I'm dragged kicking and screaming into installing it. Anybody (poor, misled suckers) out there going to try the beta of SW2005? You're a better man tham I am, Gunga Din. Or at least you have a stronger stomach.

'Sporky'

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

I tend to disagree. Like I said in the first post, all of my files (these files included in the word all) are saved in Shaded-with-edges mode. This visibility setting IS a document setting and not a system setting. So whichever mode the file was saved in should be the way it reopens. This is definitely something that just started in SW04 SP3.0.

I do find this a nuisance, but it has not bothered me enough to do something about it,,,,YET. I was mainly posting to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and/or if they new of a simple fix.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Interesting. I had to go back to 03 recently, and that feels awkward to me. So many tools missing.

I've only recently "upgraded", as I held off until

The purpose of the beta is to try to prevent the things that cause a release to be premature. It can't get fixed if it's not reported.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Dale Dunn wrote: ...(clip)...

Oh of course. I was just ranting.

Reply to
Sporkman

Sporkman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfootDOT.com:

Ah, therapy. I understand now.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I am having the same problem - not a major pain so I haven't complained yet.

Do you also notice that each SP using the 'new improved' (NOT) installation method tends to muck around with some of the system settings - e.g. hot keys no longer work, some system options change. Again a minor pain so I haven't said anything.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

Seth,

Check to make sure that large assembly mode is not on (Tools > Large Assembly Mode). I have had this exact problem in a large assembly. It seems odd that large assembly mode would come on in such a small assembly but you never know.

Reply to
Brad Goldbeck

Merry,

I have not noticed system settings changing from SP to SP. That doesn't mean that it hasn't happened though.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Brad,

That doesn't seem to be the problem. I have it set to 700 parts.

Honestly, I have never had a need to use LAM. All of my assemblies are below this number. There are some that are close, but that is why I adjusted it from the default 600 (I think) to 700. I really don't want to use LAM if I absolutely don't have to. My system seems to handle up to this number quite nice.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I'm running SP2.1 and a number of my files open Shaded only now, so I don't think it's a 3.0 problem.

Jerry Steiger

This is interesting. I used SP2.1 for some time and don't recall this problem starting until SP3.0. I could be wrong though.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I hadn't noticed it until I read your message. It seems to show up more often on my more complex parts.

Jerry Steiger

With me, complexity does not cause it to happen more or not. The example that I originally posted was 6 simple plates with a variety of holes in them. Definitely not complex.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

After I posted I realized that it was probably just coincidence that I noticed it first on a couple of my more complex parts. I've also seen it on relatively simple parts.

Jerry Steiger