solid solutions magazine

is solid solutions magazine still being published? I have not recieved there email for linking to downlaod the pdf format of their magzine since january & they won't give me an answer when I email them.

thanks

Reply to
greif

There is no magazine anymore. There is the new SolidWorks Community though...

Mr. Pickles

Reply to
Mr. Pickles

Went there... BUT:

How do you register as a SolidWorks user (SolidWorks Community) on there website. There is no choice for SolidWorks on the new user registration page ? There is a SolidWorks Community area however? Just how do you sign up for it, in order to use the site? Do you chose CATIA?

see:

Choosing the "Contact Us" button I sent them (ConnectPress, LTD.) an email from their own website and even on that page there is no choice for SolidWorks?

And by the way, in order to send it you must pick a "Community" first (I chose Inventor, just to be able to send the @#$%ing message ), again no mention of SolidWorks?

see:

I really would like to join though...

Aron

Reply to
Aron Bacs

Try

Jerry Steiger

Yea, what the heck?

I got a subscription back in December and haven't heard or seen squat from them. They took my money just fine.

Might be time to investigate. I kind of had forgotten about it.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Guthrie

Yes, I (or anyone else) can go to the SolidWorks Community. But if you want to view any article, they want you to join... And THAT is where the problem begins,

Try it yourself:

Go to the URL you said:

Click an article say: "Adapting 2D Drafting Skills to 3D Parametric Sketching" -or- any other one... The above action takes you here:
" The response is that you: Member Login or Register "

The fun begins at that page...again no SolidWorks to affiliate your membership registration with.

I guess I could just say I am an Inventor user, but then I would get Inventor spam instead of useful SolidWorks spam! I really am not trying to be difficult here, I just do not see the SolidWorks CHOICE when you sign up for membership to the site?

Do you (or anyone else) see it?

Aron

Reply to
Aron Bacs

Yes... "Solid Digital Digest and Solid Solutions Advanced"

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

I had a similar situation. I found that earthlink automatically enabled spam blocking on my e-mail account without informing me. Since I use Outlook for e-mail I didn't realize that Solid Solutions was being sent to the trash bin on the earthlink mail server. I just removed the earthlink spam blocking and started receiving SS e-mail again.

HTH,

M.T.

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

so the money I paid for my subcription is gone & i'm F------D greif

Reply to
greif

Yes... "Solid Digital Digest and Solid Solutions Advanced"

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

First let me say "I AM ONLY THE MESSENGER"

The official word from Connect Press:

"As announced to all paying subscribers, all subscribers to SOLID Solutions Magazine have been rolled over automatically to the SolidWorks Community, and any remaining subscription value is already credited toward paid membership in the community for later this year, when communities will begin requiring payment."

Let the fun begin...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Go here....

Put in the relevant info, and check "Solid Digital Digest and Solid Solutions".

They will send you the password.

Your login to this place...

will be your email address and the password, whcih you CAN change by clicking the My Account button after you login...

Mr. Pickles

Reply to
Mr. Pickles

Richard,

What the heck are SolidWorks Communities?

Richard Doyle wrote:

Reply to
kellnerp

Paul, I think Connect Press and Solid Solutions mag are trying to re-define themselves. No more magazine, not even the pdf version. The "SolidWorks Community" is their new business model (there are also "communities" for Inventor, Pro/E, and others), each to be moderated by a separate individual. The SolidWorks Community is where the Digital Digest will live, there are plans for new user group sections, feature stories and reviews, and much more.

I'm skeptical about the new format, and have to wonder if they will get enough subscription customers to keep it going. Without readers, advertising will suffer and there goes the rest of the funding. Connect Press doesn't have a great track record to this point, but I've worked with the moderator a little and have promised to help where I can. We'll see where the whole thing goes.

You can get there for free right now, but you do have to register

. There isn't much in the way of content yet, and plenty of it is outdated (especially the user group section). It's one more place to go to get SolidWorks information - and that may be half the problem.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

I would runaway from them as fast as i could. These guys are basically cutting there staff to 3 people and trying to make a ton of money. If you remember about 7 months ago they let the Editor of the magazine and many writers go. I would say this company is on a downward slide to being non exisitent and you should not pay them a dime.

Reply to
Rocko

They won't make a penny unless they provide value to the subscribers and advertisers. I agree, they've been on a downward spiral for quite some time, and even in their "heyday" the subscription price was too steep. But, the magazine had some good content contributed by some very good users (some of them from here in this group). I liked the former editor very much, and was sorry to see her go. But the new editor of the Digital Digest is a go-getter and is doing his best to turn things around. I have been asked to contribute, and I've asked others to continue working with him until we see progress. If we don't, we can cut and run.

I would say give it a chance for now. If the "Community" site isn't up to par when it starts charging, don't subscribe and, as you say, "run away fast".

I'll be right behind you.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Richard,

Thanks. I dropped the rag when they switched to internet only as I have a bad connection in the bathroom. :) I am still waiting for my often promised refund. They seem to have the attitude that they know what is best for us, but I don't think they do.