Spaceball - 3D Device Not Found

Hi,

I Have a Spaceball 3003 FLX. About every 3/4 times when windows starts up I get this error:

3D Dcvice Not Found The device indicated in the registry could not be found. Press Retry to have the driver search for a device. Press Cancel to abort the 3DxWare driver

The only way I can get the spaceball working is by restarting the computer (sometimes several times)

Some info: When starting up windows the spaceball beeps a couple of times. Windows 2000 SP4 Solidworks 2004 SP03

3DxWare driver ver. 3.5.15 3DxSolidworks addin ver 2.4.0
Reply to
Jesper Davidsen

I had this same spaceball and the same problem. I've found that wiggling the ball as windows starts up allows the driver to see the device. This is not a software problem as it is the driver that reports that it can't see a

3D device. I hope this helps,
Reply to
Not Necessarily Me

Jesper

I have the same setup as yours and had the same problem. I set it up so the drivers would not install on Windows startup. Windows will try to intall a "new device". Just cancel the install each time you startup. Put a shortcut to the driver so you can start the Spaceball after you start Solidworks. A pain but beats restarting the computer.

Reply to
Paul Miller

IMHO, it is in the driver. I have 2 SM XT models on 2 different computers and I get this same thing on both. More on the Win2K box at home and not on XP @ work. I started getting this on a driver upgrade a couple of versions back when I upgraded devices (went from 2002's to SpaceMouse XT+'s)

Have you tried the following:

  1. Set the driver to _NOT_ start with windows.
  2. Start the driver after you boot the computer and leave it run.
  3. You may get this nag once, but then till next reboot you should be fine.

Also:

  1. Modems suk, be sure you are not getting some serial conflict. Had to disable the modem in BIOS on this HP I have.
  2. If you have not done so yet you may want the latest drivers. A. 3.6.4 build for main driver B. 2.4.2 for SolidWorks
  3. Your unit is no longer going to be driver supported, 3D is going "legacy" on 2002's, 3003's, etc. They will make a good deal on a newer device. I don't want to say exactly what they did for me but, when I found out my 2002's were getting phased out of driver support I called and complained. They made it _very_ worth my while to deal with them and _not_ ebay.

Or there is always ebay...

FWIW, the newer USB models are _VERY_ nice. Lots of support for things other than CAD with a USB model.

Regards,

Sean

Reply to
MR_NC

Starting the driver manualy works fine so far for me, thanks.

Reply to
Jesper Davidsen

Sorry, just had the same bug again when starting the driver manualy.

Reply to
Jesper Davidsen

Hi Jesper

This helped me. Hope I get the words translated OK (my windows is in Danish).

RMB on "this computer" ? "settings" ? "hardware" ? "device manager" ? "mouse" and then disable Microsoft Serial Ballpoint.

Kind regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Sabroe

Did you upgrade the driver version? If not I would try that.

Regards,

Sean

Reply to
MR_NC

I'm using 3DxWare v3.5.15 and 3DxSolidWorks v2.4.0. Don't know if it is the lates drivers, if any one have something more recent don't hesitate to mail them to me.

Jesper

Reply to
Jesper Davidsen

Check the cables & plugs. Check them inside the computer as well.

Assure that it's looking at the correct COM port. It *might* work part of the time if looking at the wrong one .. I don't know.

Reply to
Cliff

3DxSolidWorks 2.4.2 and 3DxWare 3.6.4 are the latest for Win 2K/XP. Download from:
For what it's worth, the latest drivers sometimes give the "not found" error on one of my machines with the 3003FLX. I've given up wondering why -- a reboot is faster!

Art W

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Jesper, Go to

Then download the drivers for the Solidworks addin and the core driver. Then install them, then test them, then let us know what happens. The drivers you want are listed in my first post in this thread.

You are _not_ using the most recent driver. This may not be the solution, however have up to date drivers is never a bad idea IMHO.

Regards,

Sean

Reply to
MR_NC