SW2004 beta versus SW2003

matt quipped:

well, i can't do that.

but it's a FRESH install for crying out loud. only other possibility is the registry entries are conflicting maybe with 2001+'s?
--nikc e.

could be, or... these are all things I have seen cause random crashes or "unexplainable" problems...
- other questionable software that is installed or uninstalled has changed or removed shared system files - other software (not just AV) running when SW was installed or upgraded blocks OGL or VB/VBA installation - virtual memory settings above Windows ability to cope with it - drivers (including video, sound, print, spaceball, etc) may need to be updated - spaceball driver seems particularly troublesome - upgraded OS (instead of installing OS to a clean drive) - incorrect OS service pack, or service pack needs to be reapplied - ghosted image on machine that doesn't exactly match hardware - bios conflicts with other hardware drivers - running Windows Update can solve problems you didn't know you had - any one of a number of things could be wrong with a home-build job - machine overclocked - cpu improperly cooled - too many accessories added to machine so the power supply is no longer sufficient - anything with the Packard Bell logo on it - bad memory, bad sector on HD, video or memory not seated properly - no space on disk - disk/network so slow that operations time out - temporary directory with more than say 100mb of stuff in it - mapped drives disconnected at start up - Novell network settings that allow only a certain number of file locks - Novell network set to 8.3 file name format - multiple users accessing same file on Novell, one printing or saving - AV set to "real time" so all file traffic is scanned for viruses - Excel running in the background after a BOM created - registration "irregularities" - files from asian language OS being used in english on Win98 - old version of Internet Explorer - other session of SW still running in the background after previous crash - if components of MS Office are partially installed (install on use), and SW tries to use IE (for help) Excel (bom/dt) Outlook (performance email) VBA (for equations, etc), you can get some really strange messages that look like Microsoft Office is trying to install itself so SolidWorks can complete a task. - Old versions of MS Works (cheap Office substitute) were notorious with SW (used to come on a lot of Gateways) - dead mouse stuck in the fan (yes, it really happened)
Really, there's an infinite variety of things that could gum up the works.
Anyway, good luck with it.
matt.
matt quipped:

you mis-spelled "Crappard Hell."
:-)
--nick e.
matt quipped:

Openoffice.org, thunderbird, phoenix, mysql. but not likely since i haven't changed them that recently. besides, one piece of software really should not affect another unrelated piece.

nope.
hasn't been a problem yet. (almost) no crashes with 2001+/SP6

nope.
n/a
nope. fresh win2k.

well, on SP3 now. we'll see. always reapply the sp after installing anything.
BUT.......... doesn't reapplying a SP undo some M$-updates? ie: if i apply the fix for the latest RPC vuln, won't reapplyiny SP3 undo that fix?

n/a
nope.
too bad it can't update me to the latest Mandrake. :(

dell.
nope.
it HAS been a while since I changed the ice cubes...;-)

nope
heh :)

nope. ran Mdk memory test: all good. that was one of the first things i did with my 2001+ problems.

tons.
running all locally. plus network is 100M. WILL be switching to samba server for SW files soon tho. will speed things up.

nope. cleaned reglarly.

nope.
n/a
using AVG.

well, this is a SW bug. hardly something i should HAVE to check for. tho 2004 doesn't use excel.

??
n/a
again. n/a don't use it. whatever SP3 has tho i now have.

always reboot.

nope. don't get those. only have MSword and Msexcel instaled. outlook isn't even configured.

n/a
i have been smelling something...thought it was my coworker

you forgot one: bad/lazy/marketing-droid-driven SW programmers.
and this: MS OS (half of all crashes are caused by Windows)
--nick e.
Matt,
I was part of beta as well and had similar experience to your's. I found it to be quit stable. I do fairly complex mechanical assemblies of 1200 parts or less.
Dave H

simple
and
the
I have had almost no stability problems on 2004-pre and on Rel 0, running on two machines. One crash only, and as often happens with me, it occurs when I have lots of large assemblies loaded and lots of paging occurs. When I have had instabilities I may have stupidly left the virus auto-protect on during install. Otherwise, a true, clean install with registry purge has usually fixed things. Cheers bob
Bob & Dave H,
Thanks for the responses. They've done a lot of work on making the new version the most stable sp0 I've seen in some time.
matt.

Beware for those doing advanced modeling in 2004, there are still a lot of problems and some of them are regression bugs. For instance, The Split command, when regenerating in a large multi-body part will fail if a part that is show that does not need to be split, and is not checked, will be split anyway. I assume that this came back to haunt us because of "save bodies" and "save assemblies". In some case, Sweeps and Lofts are still not holding accuracy at the edges of external faces and knit will complete even with small gaps. I've been developing a remote control for the last 3 months on 2004 (yeah, call me crazy). I'm going to be addressing these issues soon with Concord, using this project.
Have you also notices some really bad ones like cutting with a surface causes a CTD. I haven't installed SP0 so I don't know if these have been addressed, but I doubt it. So, there it is; proceed with caution.
Got to run.
Mark
A compatriot had this problem and I tested it without complaint. He did a clean install (registry cleanout) and made sure virus monitoring was off. The problem went away. The same person, with Nvidia running real view, has problems with crashing when doing certain types of in-context model/save operations. Fixed by disconnecting realview.
Cheers bob

"Awesome Weldment Design Tools" ??????
I saw a demo/seminar yesterday on the weldment functionality of SW2004. Not bad for a first release of a new feature, but it still has a long way to go before it becomes a real world working tool. I don't see myself using what I saw and plan on creating individual parts for my weldments. At least I'll be able to control the things that the new weldment tools do not encompass. I only saw the fillet weld used and at best in a limited fashion. The inability to use curved surfaces to associate structural members and welds to is not acceptable, all structural steel tubing and channels have bend radiuses and rounds or fillets. The cutlist did seem helpful. Also, shouldn't all the structural shape data be pre-defined, we were told we could type in the dimensions for anything structural shape not shown (only three were).
Keith
PS If I'm incorrect about any of the above, please reply back and clear up on my miss-conceptions.

Yeah, I'm retracting that statement. I just installed SP0 and I can't even get the weldment tools to work! It keeps looking for a certain folder, and I've tried changing the locations under Tools-> Options, but it still doesn't work. I installed 2004 in a folder named "SolidWorks 2004 SP0" and I think it didn't like that.
Mike Wilson
Keith,
It has a major limitation. Only one weldment per drawing sheet. I tried to put 4 separate handrial weldments on the same drawing sheet today, only to find that the first view selected was the only one that a cutlist would attach to. All weldments worked on their own sheets.
Tom

Keith,
After reading your post again, I decided to comment on weld bead. What a joke. They won't even handle a mitered pipe corner used in handrails. The add into the BOM as parts in normal assemblies and can't fill a gap. If you have to weld beveled, gapped pipe(normal in many instances for high performance welders) All welds crap out. It is one of my pet peaves.
SW2004 is IMO, a major step forward. I only wish that they could do the same with Drawings.
All parts and assemblies remember where they came from, but everydrawing BOM only knows where its at.
I design conveyor systems and unless you insert a several thousand part assembly into your manufacturing detail prints (which will bring your drawing to a halt) the BOM give you the correct Item No. or Quantity for the master assembly. You would think that by now SW would have gotten a clue and allowed the BOM to be pointed to an assembly and get the proper item number and quantity for the manufacturing print.
We always have to work around the fact that no SW employees deliver drawing for a living. They only write and sell software!!
Having all items in a 60 page drawing set is also not my idea of fun. So for the last five years and probably several to come I have to work around this SW limitation.
END OF RANT!!!!
SW 2004 is quite a bit better and you will like it. IMO!
Tom