SWP files stored on a network drive, getting locked by users?

We have several SWP files stored on a network drive for all users to access. Whenever we update a macro, we simply overwrite the old SWP file. Sometimes I get a window stating that the file is in use. Not knowing how to see who is using it, we get everyone to exit SolidWorks.

Is there a way to prevent this file from being locked? The folder that we are keeping these files is write-protected so only (2) people in engineer can write, but everyone can read.

Reply to
SW Monkey

I have noticed problems like this myself. When you close a macro after editing it SolidWorks doesn't always give up a connection to it. You have to actually quit SolidWorks in order to free the file up for editing. If the file is read only to all but two users then my guess would be that only those two users can be responsible for locking the file up. Only those two should require a SolidWorks shutdown to restore proper file access.

Instead of overwriting the .swp you could instead increment a version number. In this case you will always be creating a new file and not overwriting the old. That should solve your problem. MyFile_1.0.4.swp.

Reply to
Mr. Who

I save over these files even if SW seems to complain and it writes the new version. Like you everyone has readonly and I have read/write.

Reply to
TOP

SW Monkey,

Easy solution. Easier than you might imagine, though a little annoying.

Simply rename the whole folder which has the locked files AND move that folder INTO another folder.

THEN copy that folder from its new location to its old location and rename it back to the original name.

Once IT gets around to resetting the server, delete the extra folder.

I've used this method with success multiple times already.

Matt

SW M> We have several SWP files stored on a network drive for all users to

Reply to
fcsuper

TOP,

This doesn't work with files that are locked because the network thinks someone is using them. This normally only works if the macro's on one's own system when you get that error.

Matt

Reply to
fcsuper

The SWP files I am speaking of are on a mapped network share.

Reply to
TOP

I thik you could try to use certain free program called UNLOCKER. Simply right click the file and click Unlock. It will remove all locks from file and will be able to edit it or replace it whenever you like. Users won't even notice it. You can download it from

I have helped you...

regards

Reply to
mirr02

That option wont work for me. If you rename the SWP file, then everyone will have to repoint to the new one. If you keep the filename the same, no action is required by all users.

Reply to
SW Monkey