Synergis Adept and Solidworks

Has anyone had a good experience using Adept with Solidworks? It looks like a great product with a ton of features. The folks at Synergis have a lot of history supporting cad and engineering.

We are using Adept 6 and Solidworks 2006. We used Adept 5 before but had problems with it. The thought was that Adept 6 was going to be better.

It has been difficult to discover the source of our difficulties. Synergis is rather adept at blaming Windows, Solidworks, the network, etc.

Any suggestions are welcome. What alternatives do you use?

--dave

Reply to
dkurman

Who implemented it? How long have you been using it? What are the specific difficulties?

The blame game never works very well because there is always a reason. The reason needs to be found and fixed.

Reply to
TOP

Their trained folks handled each it time. I doubt they'd let anyone else. Two patches they sent to fix problems made it worse.

Before Adept they used NFM here for quite awhile (before my time).

I'm interested now in finding other folks who are using it without problems. Two companies that I've talked with (using SW & Adept) dropped Adept. IMHO those companies may have dropped it too quickly but I'm not sure.

Reply to
dkurman

OK they handled it. But what are the problems? And again how long has your company been using it?

Reply to
TOP

What version of Adept 6 are you running and what types of problems are you having?

We run Adept 6 (Version 6.0.7.20) here where I work in Melbourne, Australia and have been running it for 12 months. We have had a few small issues with the SolidWorks integration over the last 12 months which have been fixed. We did have one major issue recently which caused us some problems with referenced files not being copied down to the virtual library with some of our files. When opening the assembly files in SolidWorks, SolidWorks whould either ask for the refereced file or would suppress the part. This issue has since been resolved with Synergis Software sending us a special server side fix. The fix is to be included in the next version. Have you been experiencing this issue at all?

Andrew Hallas Project Engineer R & D / CAD Systems Administrator MacDonald Johnston Engineering Clayton North, Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
ahallas

We are also running version 6.07.20. There are issues with the virtual library. Synergis recommended clearing the virtual library to fix it. When you mentioned that a fix will be in the next vresion do you mean version 7?

At times Adept is unresponsive. The interface doesn't repaint so it appears to be locked up to the end users. Sometimes it will freeze Solidworks as well. The computer is nearly idle with little or no cpu activity or memory use. Not much network activity either.

We got two patches from them. One for the server and one for the client. Both patches created other issues making it worse.

I should say that I am a system administrator rather than a Solidworks operator.

Thanks for your response , Andrew.

--dave

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
dkurman

What is the problem with the virtual library? What does the problem look like and how do you make it happen?

Reply to
TOP

Dave,

The fix is to be included in version 7. The special fix that we got was included on top of the server side components for version 6.0.8.21. We are running version 6.0.7.20 at the clients and 6.0.8.21 at the server due to the special fix.

What specifically are the virtual library (VL) issues? Are some referenced files not being copied down or is SolidWorks using older file versions? The fix that we received was for referenced files not being copied down to the VL.

On occasion we find the user interface freezes up on users. It has been hard to determine what has caused it. Sometimes it can be because of Adept copying files down to the VL while a user is trying to open the model, especailly if it is a large model with many referenced parts. Other times it can be when searches are being done.

When Adept freezes are any other programs freezing? We sometimes find that our ERP system will freeze when Adept freezes. I am not sure if it is the ERP system causing Adept to freeze or Adept causing the ERP system to freeze.

Have you done any web-ex's with Adept's help desk to show them what is occuring? We did this serveral times with them so that they could see first hand what was occuing so that they could reproduce the issue and sort it out.

Regards

Andrew Hallas

Reply to
ahallas