The most helpful Usenet newsgroup . . .

. . . that I've found is comp.cad.solidworks.

Just bragging on you guys. I posted the same message about estimating engineering time for machine design projects on six other newsgroups, and guess where I got the most answers AND the most helpful answers.

Newsgroups I included, and where one would expect to find people who would be happy to reply, as well as helpful replies:

sci.engr (no replies) sci.engr.control (2 replies by the same person) sci.engr.manufacturing (no replies) sci.engr.mech (2 replies) alt.mechanical.engineering (no replies) comp.cad.pro-engineer (no replies -- potential respondants too busy dealing with arrogant tech support to answer)

The replies that I did get in those other groups weren't really helpful, save perhaps for one (only slightly helpful). Offhand I'd have to say the comparison with comp.cad.solidworks (7 different respondents with 14 different responses, most of which were at least somewhat helpful) shows a level of professionalism unparalleled in those other groups.

So -- cheers to a bunch of highly professional people . . . YOU.

Best regards to all, Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Charlotte, NC, USA

Reply to
Sporkman

I agree I find this the most useful forum or newsgroup there is.

Reply to
Mike Grant

Sup Sporkman!!

If you haven't already tried it - Try

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

what really worries me is that this many people listen to late night radio and don't talk about it openly...

Reply to
neil

eng-tips is very nice, however I see some problems with the SolidWorks forum:

1) it is too "non-commercial". Every time I say "I have an add-in that does this" or "I can do it for you" I get spanked 2) most topics duplicate with those here, but few people regularly follow both engtips and comp.cad.solidworks, resulting in spliting the community in 2

In fact I didn't really understand the advantages of engtips compared to the newsgroup...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti
100% agree. This forum is required reading for me, although I have not posted much. usually I find the answer by searching back through the ng.

I find reading it a constant source of elightenment for all things = solidworks

-and quite a few other left field topics as well :-)

Being down at the other end of the world we do not have the huge user = base to lean on - its great to be able to tap into the top side!

Thanks all.

--=20 Neville Williams (remove the "knot" to reply)

Reply to
Nev Williams

Have you read the rules??

You cannot sale commerical goods there. If you have something for free or if you know of a company selling something that you know will work help somebody out, then it can be posted. You can't post it if your trying to sell your services.

Rule 11 Explains this -

If you wish to sell a product or services, look into purchasing targeted ad banner space or a targeted email list from Tecumseh Group (advertising"AT"tecumsehgroup.com or call 1-800-9X4-7800). Do not try to sell directly in the fora. These types of posts will generally be red flagged.

This is why you get red flagged!!

There are a total of 19 rules that have been setup by those of the Round Table at eng-tips.com. If you decide to read the FAQ the link at eng-tips is faq731-376 look that FAQ up and read thru the rules. The rules are there to keep the reader on the subject at hand and not to deal with spammers, salesmen and your off the wall do-it-yourself person. See the rules for futher details.

has lots of information and FAQ's you don't have to sift through all the subjects to find what you are looking for all the time. Like you do with this NG. There are many benefits, but if your a salesman then I guess it isn't the Forum for you.

There is also a

that might help all of you as well. (Computer hardware and Software (OS, VB, etc...) forum)

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP

Reply to
Scott

The link should have been

not "emg-tips.com"

Reply to
Scott

And may I add that the residents of this group are the most attractive, and well dressed, of any of those other NG's :P

Reply to
rocheey

Scott, I had a message removed and got a terse email for announcing a user conference on Eng-Tips. I called to see what the problem was and was told the message was "flagged" by a user as innapropriate. That would be fine except I wasn't even given a chance explain - that ain't good. I "flagged" myself the next day and won't go back.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

At least we think so. ;->

Reply to
Sporkman

Thank goodness noone minds you advertising here.

Reply to
Devin

Yeah, Philippe is a little different about it. He actually has a contribution to the conversation here, rather than simply using the forum for free exposure.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

That was considered Advertisement I guess. Sorry about that, but can you rule out good informative information just because of that reason alone?

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Two "flags" in one week? That ain't bad. 8~)

That's not a very "lively" group. If the one fella that fields most of the questions ever finds full time work the rest of us are gonna be in big trouble. 8~)

Got to agree this group has more traffic, more diversified, interesting (even for a non-user) topics and supportive users than the average.

goodayall ..... ===============================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Are you impling that I'm using this as free exposure?

I think the subject line is "The most helpful Usenet newsgroup . . ." So I put my 2cents worth. If you don't like it... tough! If you don't like it make your own damn NG.

I like eng-tips.com I find it better than this NG. This one (comp.cad.solidworks) is bit busier, but sometimes it's not as busy as eng-tips. If you guys would just have followed the rules then you wouldn't have gotten red-flagged. I can't believe people that are so eager for SW information don't use all the NG to their advantage. I spend time in all the NG that I'm aware of. Having that much information is useful for anyone. If you boycott it then it's more your lose then mine. Unless you all, know it all? I'm sure some of think that... It's in your posts that you post.

So you don't think I have any contribution to the conversations here? Huh....? Go figure!

Reply to
Scott

"Scott" wrote in news:2jtv2sF168715U1@uni- berlin.de:

Uh, it wasn't my intention to convey that. I thought Devin was replying to Philippe, and I was agreeing with him that I don't mind Philippe's plugs. After looking at it again, I'm not sure who he was replying to. I don't remember seeing you advertise here, so I concluded he was talking to Philippe.

I certainly don't think you've made no contribution here. For crying outloud, you've certainly submitted more knowledge and wisdom here than I have.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I apologize Dale! I thought your post was pointed to me directly since it was located directly below me in the NG tree.

I don't mind Philippe's plugs either. I was just saying that eng-tips has rules and advertising isn't one of them. Some people may not like that in a NG, but I do. I don't like having to sift through good information and advertisements. I get enough of that when I watch TV, reading my Snail mail or answering the phone anymore.

Thanks Dale for that tid bit, but I don't think so. I have seen some super ideas from you in this NG. I don't reply as often as I used to just because... but I do read this NG often. You give lots of good information, that's very useful to people and users. If you haven't joined eng-tips.com already you should! You would make a good addition to the other power users there in the SW forum. I would most certainly welcome you there.

Best Regards Dale, Scott

Reply to
Scott

One word. TiVo.

;)

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

Now, that's a useful tip! Ain't this newsgroup great!

Jerry Steiger