Understaning references?

I don't quite have a good grasp on how references work in SW and it is coming to bite me in the ass, big time. Can someone direct me in the right direction as to where I can look to get a better understanding of references.

Thanks

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

Could this help?

Some good tips.

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

have you done the tutorial materials or attended any training?

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

There is a ton of stuff in the SW knowledgebase. It isn't easy to get through because what you need to know is scattered about, but it is a must read.

There are a couple of API examples in your API help that will list references for assemblies.

And there is a product at

that can visually show dependencies.

And of course there is SWExplorer which can be used to investigate references.

Besides all that you should take the time to understand how SW goes and f> I don't quite have a good grasp on how references work in SW and it is

Reply to
kellnerp

Parts and assemblies are searched in the following order; first found, then used; 1.. memory 2.. path stored in options for external references. 3.. last path you opened a document from. 4.. last path the system open a document from. 5.. the path were the reference file was located when the parent file was last saved. 6.. the path saved in the header of assembly file for the referenced file. This is the directory data stored in the actually file. 7.. browse for it. Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich