References problems

I'm using SolidWorks 2006 SP0.0 and I'm having trouble replacing
references in a drawing. I close all the files that are open
click open
find the drawing I want to replace files
click references
double click the file I want to change
browse to the new file and click open
then I click the checkmark
click ok
open the file and nothing changes
I don't get any errors either which is kind of strange. Does anybody
have any tips or suggestions? I'm so confused as to why this would do
this I've been spending all day trying to figure this thing out, I'm
stumped.
Reply to
lavs23
Does the file your switching it to, have the same filename but resides in a different folder than the original?
Ken
Reply to
ken
Nope it's a different file name in the same directory.
ken wrote:
Reply to
lavs23
I have seen this recently. If I remember correctly, I think it only happens to me only when the model I am trying to change references to, was a copy of the original model. For example:
Let's say I wanted to create a second model similar to the first, but didn't want to start from scratch. I would copy the first one and then just make changes to it.
Basically, I do the same with the drawing. I copy the drawing and make the copied second drawing reference the second model using the method that you describe. But recently, when trying to make the drawing reference the second model in this scenario, it will fail and reference the original model anyway. It didn't used to do this.
The workaround I have found is to temporarily rename the first model in Windows Explorer, and then open the second drawing. It will not be able to find the first model since you renamed it, and ask you to find it. At that point, you can tell it to reference the second model. Then, rename the first model back to the original name.
Hope this helps.
Reply to
Seth Renigar
That definately sounds crazy enough to work, I'll let you know once I can make changes later today. Thanks for the help.
Seth Renigar wrote:
Reply to
lavs23
It worked, thanks so much for the help.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Reply to
lavs23
Just out of curiosity, was your scenario the same as what I described (a copied part)? If so, I think this would be enough proof for me to call this a bug and report it.
Reply to
Seth Renigar
Yes it was a copied part. I think it is a bug in 2006, I've made copies of files and replaced the references in 2004. I personally haven't done it in 2005 but I've heard it works just fine in 2005 and other previous versions.
Seth Renigar wrote:
Reply to
lavs23
Thought so!!! I will report this soon.
Reply to
Seth Renigar
Seth, I have experienced this exact same scenario, just today as a matter of fact.
I belive this scenario gives you two part with the same "internal ID". While this often allows seamless duplicating of drawings, swapping the part in and out of assemblies, etc., it seems to be causing hiccups lately.
I experienced it in SW2005. (haven't noticed it in 2006 yet).
-James
Reply to
James
I had come to the same conclusion with the same "internal ID" thing. But I never had this problem prior to about SW2006 SP3.0
Reply to
Seth Renigar