References problems

I'm using SolidWorks 2006 SP0.0 and I'm having trouble replacing references in a drawing. I close all the files that are open click open find the drawing I want to replace files click references double click the file I want to change browse to the new file and click open then I click the checkmark click ok open the file and nothing changes

I don't get any errors either which is kind of strange. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions? I'm so confused as to why this would do this I've been spending all day trying to figure this thing out, I'm stumped.

Reply to
lavs23

Does the file your switching it to, have the same filename but resides in a different folder than the original?

Reply to
ken

Reply to
lavs23

I have seen this recently. If I remember correctly, I think it only happens to me only when the model I am trying to change references to, was a copy of the original model. For example:

Let's say I wanted to create a second model similar to the first, but didn't want to start from scratch. I would copy the first one and then just make changes to it.

Basically, I do the same with the drawing. I copy the drawing and make the copied second drawing reference the second model using the method that you describe. But recently, when trying to make the drawing reference the second model in this scenario, it will fail and reference the original model anyway. It didn't used to do this.

The workaround I have found is to temporarily rename the first model in Windows Explorer, and then open the second drawing. It will not be able to find the first model since you renamed it, and ask you to find it. At that point, you can tell it to reference the second model. Then, rename the first model back to the original name.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Reply to
lavs23

Reply to
lavs23

Just out of curiosity, was your scenario the same as what I described (a copied part)? If so, I think this would be enough proof for me to call this a bug and report it.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Reply to
lavs23

Thought so!!! I will report this soon.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Seth, I have experienced this exact same scenario, just today as a matter of fact.

I belive this scenario gives you two part with the same "internal ID". While this often allows seamless duplicating of drawings, swapping the part in and out of assemblies, etc., it seems to be causing hiccups lately.

I experienced it in SW2005. (haven't noticed it in 2006 yet).

-James

Reply to
James

I had come to the same conclusion with the same "internal ID" thing. But I never had this problem prior to about SW2006 SP3.0

Reply to
Seth Renigar