Unigraphics Compatibility

I am involved in a project where my deliverable is a set of Unigraphics 3-D files and 2-D drawing files. Does anybody know of some sort of converter, or how best to take the Solidworks files and convert them to a Unigraphics format complete with a drawing tree. I also need to convert 2-D files over to Unigraphics. I may have access to 1 Unigraphics seat, but that is questionable.

To save yourselves time, I know that I can save the 3-D files as a Parasolid, but I need to maintain a drawing tree.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

Do it in UG. There is no way to do it direct from SW.

We quoted a job with similar deliverable data requirements a year ago.

We couldn't find a translator that would take SolidWorks data to UG format. The solution that we came up with was to hire an independent UG contractor to open Parasolid files from SolidWorks in UG and save the file in UG format. If you have a ton of files this may not work for you.

On the 2D side of the equation, based on the tests we ran with the contractor, 2D DXF data imported into UG and displays without any major issues. The potential problem with this of course will be that the drawing has no ties to the 3D model. You will definitely want to get specific requirements from your customer on this.

Good Luck,

Ricky Jordan CSWP Dynetics, Inc. Huntsville, AL

Reply to
Ricky Jordan

So, does UG reconstruct a drawing tree, or did you submit an imported part in UG without a tree.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

The plan was to submit the imported part in UG without a tree.

We didn't end up getting the job, so I never got to see how all of it would work out. When we were quoting the job I sent several parasolid & DXF files to our UG subcontractor and didn't have any issues importing them into UG. Our customer was fully aware of the approach we were going to take and had no problem with it.

Best Regards,

Ricky Jordan CSWP Dynetics, Inc. Huntsville, AL

Reply to
Ricky Jordan

"YouGoFirst" wrote in news:w1o8g.45835$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I've been looking into this for a similar reason.

Approx $10k US.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

Depends on what modules you need.....but to get the equivalent to Solidworks, try about $15,000.

Reply to
Jason

"Jason" wrote in news:1147356089.187417.80410 @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

True enough. They sell it in at least three different levels, Mach Bundles I think they call them. For my purposes, I only needed the Mach 1. Mach 3 includes just about everything and I think I heard that it was in the neighborhood of $25k. I didn't compare them feature by feature to SW since I wasn't looking for a replacement.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

I guess they renamed them "Mach" bundles. Here's what I've seen....granted this is from late 2004 so maybe it's changed some. Not cheap to say the least.

Basic Designer Bundle UG10762 NX Designer Bundle - NL Price: $7,995 Maint: $2,040 License: Node Locked Includes the following functionality: UG10100-Gateway UG10210-Drafting UG10610-Solid Modeling UG10620-Feature Modeling UG12815-IGES Translator UG12825-DXF/DWG Translator UG12860-STEP AP203 Translator UG12865-STEP AP214 Translator

Advanced Designer Bundle Price: $17,900 Maint: $ 2,148 License: Node Locked Includes the following functionality: UG10100-Gateway UG10210-Drafting UG10610-Solid Modeling UG10620-Feature Modeling UG10630-Freeform Modeling UG10810-Assemblies UG10820-User-Defined Features UG12815-IGES Translator UG12825-DXF/DWG Translator UG12860-STEP AP203 Translator UG12865-STEP AP214 Translator UG2070-Rapid Prototyping

Reply to
Jason

Cost us about 20,000 with some CAM swapping deal thing 3 months before NX4 come out. We (thankfully) got NX4 for free. :P

Reply to
Anonymous