Any suggestions for HO gradient?

Most of those scales have already been tried, for example "C" scale in the

1960s. Unfortunately people generally start in the hobby with whatever they can readily buy, so whatever already exists is what they continue with. 1:100 scale on 14.35mm gauge isn't intrinsically better than 1:87 scale and 16.5mm guage, or any other combination when one is buying off the shelf. For that matter, 1:87 is no better than 1:87.1 or 3.5mm:304.8mm if you're just buying off the shelf, as David obviously does. There are only problems when either one attempts to mix models built to different standards or when one needs to or attempts to build scale models.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Just like you miss everything else of substance.

Reply to
a_a_a

You're funny!

Reply to
Greg.Procter

On 3/1/2009 7:27 AM John Fraser spake thus:

Whoa: where do you get that last one? Rounding 1:87 to 1:100 is sheer sloppiness.

Oh, you're describing the theoretical proposed Perfect Metric version of HO, which doesn't exist.

O scale *might* be tolerably close (1:48 compared to 1:50 is close enough for many folks).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Ours are 340ml, give or take. A very satisfying size. ;-)

Reply to
Wolf K

Just what's your point? Oh, yeah, I see -- you think you're disagreeing with something a dumbyank said.

Pathetic, really.

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

WRT fuel for cars, "gas" is short for "gasoline", a trade name for petrol, which (like "aspirin) became a generic term.

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Who said I did? Oh, I see, you're misreading again. Tsk, tsk.

[...]

When Al was first isolated, its proposed name was aluminum. Really. Look it up.

Ve-hicle is the original pronunciation of the word (well, actually, it was closer to vay-hickle). It was the speakers of the King's English who dropped the /h/.

We say c'nTRIBute over here.

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

You obviously jump to conclusions.

I grew up with both systems, and pounds, shillings, and pence, too, as I was shuttled back and forth between Austria and England in my yout'. The only time I converted between units was when I had to do math homework. In my _real_ life (buying chocolate bars and ice cream) I never converted between units. A chocolate bar was about 5 bites in size, whether it was denominated in oz or gm. My Granny bought milk in pints and 1/2 pints, whipping cream in 1/4 pints, sliced ham in ounces, butter in 1/2 and 1/4 pounds. My Oma bought sliced ham in dekas, butter in 1/2 and 1/4 kilos, milk in liters and half liters, and whipping cream in

1/8th liters. So much for the "advantages" of the decimal system _in actual practice._

The house I live in has about 60% "sweat equity" in it -- mine and my family's. We didn't have to convert between units, or between measuring systems. _Not once_.

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

I fully agree. :-)

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel

1:50 is to far from 1:45 which is the correct scale for standard 32 mm gauge track.

That 1:48 scale you mention must be invented by someone who couldn't do simple calculations.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

On 3/2/2009 9:35 AM Erik Olsen spake thus:

I have no idea of the arithmetic capabilities of whoever "invented"

1:48, but it happens to be the standard definition of O scale hereabouts. Don't look at me; I had nothing to do with it. Just reporting the news.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Weird. Broad gauge; the opposite of British 00.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

1/4" to the foot. Easy to measure with a dimestore ruler. ;-)
Reply to
Wolf K

On 3/2/2009 1:36 PM Erik Olsen spake thus:

O *scale*, not gauge. Dunno about the gauge; others will have to comment on that. Don't think it's broad gauge, though.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

An this comes from one of the people who call polyethylene polythene.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On 3/2/2009 3:22 PM Steve Caple spake thus:

Plus that mangling of "proprietary" he uses, "proprietry" (which is probably what it sounds like, but certainly not how it's spelled--oops, "spelt". Hey, I though that was some kind of German bread!)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a relatively modern cross between the ancient emmer wheat, or farro (Triticum dicoccon) and wild goat grass (Aegilops tauschii).

True farro makes both the wonderful Tuscan bean and farro soup, but also is combined with chestnut (castagna) flour to make truly wonderful savory pastries.

Unscrupulous suppliers attempt to pass spelt off as farro; conversely, true farro (emmer) is often called spelt by the ignorant. True farro is primarily produced in the Garfagnana region of Tuscany (the Serchio river valley north of Lucca, between the Apuan Alps and the Appenines), and the producers would prefer to see use of the term farro controlled much as wines are under DOCG regulations. For the tase of real farro, look for the seal of the Consorzio Produttori Farro della Garfagnana IGP (indicazione geografica protetta).

Even the Italian Trade Commission badmouths the proud name of farro by referring to "Farro della Garfagnana (IGP)" as spelt:

Zuppa di Farro col Cavolo Nero:

Steve Caple

On 3/2/2009 5:47 PM Steve Caple spake thus:

So I guess there's no telling just *what* is in those "spelt" tortillas (yes, tortillas) you can get at Traitor Joes, eh?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

It's not that hard ----- 1/4" = 1 ' [the ratio IS 1:48] The 1'4" is for convinence for those without the equipment to work with the 7mm : 1' that the British folk use.

Chuck D.