Any suggestions for HO gradient?

Yes, that is exactly the same, there are 10 mm in 1 cm.

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel

Since 2% = 2 per hundred, that is 1 per fifty, is accepted by most builders, just multiply your 4 inches by fifty to get 200 inches. Divide by twelve to get to feet again. Or, multiply your 100 mm by fifty to get 5000 mm, or 5 m.

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel

Why percent of grade when one in X is so much easier?

Reply to
Roger T.

Wim van Bemmel skriver:

Nope.

100mm incline needs 5 meters of track.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Because that's how prototype railroads measure their roadbed gradients. Besides, what could be easier than 1 unit of vertical displacement for every 100 units of horizontal displacement describing a 1% grade, etcetera?

The percentage system works this same way independantly of *whichever* system of measurement you're using to describe the distances involved.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Percent of grade IS "number of units(percent)" in X (100 units).

[units can be any --- mm to furlongs]

;-)

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

It all depends on what you're used to.

Cheers,

wolf k.

PS: are you at all interested in any Rapido products?

Reply to
Wolf K

"Wolf K"

Only if suitable for the late 1950s.

-- Cheers.

Roger T. See the GER at: -

Roger T.

On 2/21/2009 12:44 PM Wim van Bemmel spake thus:

Why the hell should we do that?

I actually take offense at your suggestion: some of us (a *lot* of us, including lots of folks in the UK, a supposedly metric country) actually prefer our antiquated, flawed systems of measurement.

Hmmmph.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Luddite! :-)

-- Cheers.

Roger T. See the GER at: -

Roger T.

Be happy with it.

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel

The statement was 100mm equals 5 m. Not "needs".

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel

And everybody except you realised what was meant. Pedantry and stupidity make a fierce combination.

Reply to
a_a_a

But "Obvious" stupidity needs to be slapped down, otherwise we descend into a morass of misunderstanding.

JMHO

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

Selectively cutting can make stupidity of any message.

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel

Nah, just a guy who knows the difference between a logical system and a useful one.

;-)

Reply to
Wolf K

How about just building your scenery so that it appears that you are climbing but in reality you are running on a flat track? John

Reply to
NICHE541

NICHE541 skriver:

No thanks, My layout has no need for in og declines.

It is flat as a pancake.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

Actually all that you've really shown is that decimal is great for calculating percentages. I can do 2%, i.e. 2/100 of an foot per foot on my engineering ruler just as easily as you can do 2 cm/meter.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Except that I don't need an engineering calculator or ruler for that ;-)

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel