Any suggestions for HO gradient?

Greg.Procter wrote:

That's because 32mm is the wrong gauge for 7mm/ft scale.
1435mm/(12*25.4mm/7mm) = 32.96mm
--
Venlig hilsen/Best regards
Erik Olsen

Maerklin set the gauge for "O" at 35mm (rail center to rail center) in 1900 at the Leipzig toy fair. As their rails were 3mm (or 1/8") across the head this gave 32mm gauge in present day terms.
The gauge is right, the scale (irrelevant in 1900) is wrong.
Greg.P.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg.Procter wrote:

Somehow I don't think that Mδrklin "0" in 1900 has much to do with modern-day British Scale7.
--
Venlig hilsen/Best regards
Erik Olsen

Sure, in the same way that a Ford 1925 Model T has little to do with a 2005 Ford Mustang.
- Ma set the gauge. - Henry Greenly set the British scale ratio. for Ma's gauge. - P7 uses Henry Greenly's scale with scale prototypical gauge.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Erik Olsen wrote:

Here in the States (U.S. for those wondering) This is "Q" Scale/Gauge.
Chuck D.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 11:11:03 +1300, David Nebenzahl

32mm or 1 1/4". That's a 5' gauge prototype.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Back when O gauge was invented the USa had standard gauge and broad gauge railways. 1:48 was an average of the two. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg.Procter wrote:

Sorry Greg, the 'Broad Gauge' was all 'standardized' around the time of the Civil War (for the railroads). The B&Os Broad Gauge 7' (I think it was), went away before then. Now Trolleys (Street cars, were another matter ---- some cities specified a 'Broader that the railroad' gauge to prevent waking up one morning to find a 'Railroad" running down Main Street. [Cross country RR builds to edge of town, ties into street car tracks, continues construction on the other side of town.]
Now there were (and still are in some cases) several 'narrow' gauges being used. Chuck D.
Chuck D.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 16:45:18 -0500, Charles Davis wrote:

I guess some towns just screwed up, or fell asleep at the switch, he said, remembering his conductor grandpa breaking the Nickel Plate way freight in two so as not to block a cross street while he and I and the crew went to lunch in a little cafe the road switcher was parked in front of.
--
Steve

Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve Caple wrote:

Yup!!! Not everyone did that. Chuck D.
Add pictures here
βœ–

"Model Railways" are not restricted to present day prototypes. In fact models are a very suitable means of representing historical subjects. Any MR that has a fixed era is in fact a historical model (other than those set in the future ;-)

Good to see you have some variety! ;-)
Greg.P.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg.Procter wrote:

You know, Greg, the depth of your ignorance is astounding. You have no idea what actually happened in the toy/model train industry and hobby. None. Nada. Zip. Zero.
I would recommend that your read a couple of books on the subject, but the infusion of correct information might blow your brain to smithereens. Oops, come to think of it, though, nobody would notice.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 10:00:25 -0500, Wolf K wrote:

Unfortunately, an explosive charge of that magnitude might at most produce an ear twitch.
--
Steve

Add pictures here
βœ–

Wolf, ol buddy, check out the lists that wander the internet in regards to scale and gauge. You will find that more than half of them originate from my research. Just a little thought on your part would lead you to the conclusion that I have done my research and that I have worked my way through many of the myths and legends that permeate the subject. British books almost always claim model railways started in Britain, US sources usually ignore anything from outside the SRUSa. Where a "first" is preceded by an event elsewhere and a causative link can be demonstrated, that "first" is no longer relevant.
Regards, Greg.P.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Wolf K wrote:

How can you destroy something that does not exist?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wolf, your assumption that _you_ are the font of all wisdom places you firmly in the "ignorant idiot" category.
Regards, Greg.P.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You had a case? Sorry, I seem to have missed it.
Regards, Greg.P.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg.Procter wrote:

Just like you miss everything else of substance.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You're funny!
Add pictures here