DCC basics

PEr a prior reply I gave to another newbie, I am now wondering if my advice to him was correct. With most DCC controllers, can you run one
engine without a DCC decoder?
DC you can only run one train on one or the same track..DCC from my understanding you can run more than one train on the same track..
If anyone can provide more imformation to the question..
Brock Bailey snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

The poster was talking about running a non DCC train using a DCC controller. It is my understanding that Lenz and Digitrax are the only ones and I am really not sure about Digitrax. I will be after Christmas though. Found out that is what I am getting for Christmas from one of my daughters. I went to buy one and my wife had to stop me.
Chris
Brock Bailey wrote:

Chris, You are correct about Digitrax. It can run an analog loco using address 00. Actually, more than one but they will start/stop/etc in unison (just like if they were on a DC-powered track).
That said, it's probably not the best thing to do. Performance may not be very good, and you risk overheating the motor since current will be flowing through it even when the loco is stopped.
I limit my use of it to testing an analog loco for a few minutes before installing a decoder.
Stevert
ChrisGW wrote:

Appreciate the info. Thank you.
Chris
Stevert wrote:

Almost all DCC systems will run one DC train on address 0, there are odd exceptions. But as others have mentioned its really only good for quick tests due to the noise it creates.
Most suppliers have their manuals or specs on the web so you can check such details. Links to most DCC makers are here, <http://www.merg.org.uk/links.htm
Keith
Keith wrote:

And this is also discouraged due to the fact that the electric motors will heat up even when the engine is standing still. This is especially bad for can or coreless motors.
Peteski