Diesel locos designations

What about MLW? (Montreal Locomotive Works)

We in Greece have from the seventies: MX627 (MLW, Export, 6-axle, 2700hp) MX636 - you guessed it, 3600hp!

And let's see the various export models from ALCo in the sixties: DL500C 'World Locomotive' RS-8 'Baby ALCo'

After that, things get muddy. For example, today we use the Adtranz/Bombardier DE2000 (Diesel-Electric, 2000 KW? - these put out around

2800 PS). Note that these are manufacturers' codes, not class numbers (which are a whole different thing).

Cheers, N.Fotis

Reply to
Nick Fotis

OK, I got the V100 and V90 usage crossed.

Reply to
Greg Procter

415 V AC is better!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter schrieb:

You have to distinguish between the train operating company's numbering system and the manufacturer's designation.

Every big railway has its own numbering system, it would be quite a long list to explain all of these, see

for explanation of a few numbering systems.

Manufacturers have their own too. Siemens calls its current line of diesel-electric locomotives "EuroRunner", there are: ER20BU = EuroRunner, 2000 kW, "B" bogies (with 2 axles), Universal (with electric train power) ER20BF = EuroRunner, 2000 kW, "B" bogies (with 2 axles), Freight (no electric train power) those two are commonly known as "ER20" ER20CF = EuroRunner, 2000 kW, "C" bogies (with 3 axles), Freight (no electric train power) - built for Lithuania AR15CF = AsiaRunner, 1500 kW, "C" bogies (with 3 axles), Freight (no electric train power) - 1000 mm gauge, built for Vietnam

Bombardier has its own system for its TRAXX locomotives: TRAXX 3P160DE = 3rd generation, passenger, 160 km/h, diesel-electric TRAXX 3F140DE = 3rd generation, freight, 140 km/h, diesel-electric (the 1st and 2nd generation of TRAXX were only delivered as electric locomotives)

see

for information about modern Siemens and Bombardier locomotives

Vossloh: For diesel-hydraulics the (current) system is: G400B = 400 kW, 2 axles (wheel arrangement B) G1000BB = 1000 kW, 4 axles (wheel arrangement B'B') G1700BB = 1700 kW, 4 axles (wheel arrangement B'B') B2000BB = 2000 kW, 4 axles (wheel arrangement B'B') but watch out, they earlier used a different system .... in addition they have diesel-electrics EURO 3000 and EURO 4000, but there the power is indicated in horsepowers apparently.

Voith has two basic types of diesel-hydraulic locomotives: the 6-axle Maxima with 2 cabs: Maxima 40 CC = 3600 kW, 6 axles (wheel arrangement C'C') Maxima 30 CC = 2750 kW, 6 axles (wheel arrangement C'C') and the Gravita with central cab: Gravita 20 BB = 2200 kW, 4 axles (wheel arrangement B'B') Gravita 15 BB = 1800 kW, 4 axles (wheel arrangement B'B') Gravita 10 BB = 1200 kW, 4 axles (wheel arrangement B'B') Gravita 5 C = 700 kW, 3 axles (wheel arrangement C) Gravita 5 B = 400 kW, 2 axles (wheel arrangement B) There you see the type number only has a rough relation to the engine power ....

Reply to
tobias b koehler

Not really, I model the DRG in 1922-32 when Diesels were very few and far between! =8^) At one time I modelled the DB to 1959 and hence read all the relevant literature I could obtain, but I decided I prefer steam Loks.

Of course, and these have changed over time. (Both the railways and the designations)

Thanks, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter