eBay: Backyard train - twin engine BNSF Diesel, 1.6 scale

On 12/22/2007 11:17 AM Ted spake thus:

Cut the crap. Enough with the eBay "alerts". Like the other guy said, if we want stuff on eBay, we all know how to search there.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I'm failing to see why you are trying to stop this?!?! It's about trains which despite what the title of the group says, so is the group! There is nothing wrong with ebay alerts pertaining to the topic matter. You people really are starting to make me wonder...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

On 12/22/2007 2:08 PM Big Rich Soprano spake thus:

So you're saying you don't mind this being turned into a spam zone, a place where any and all commercial postings (provided they have some connection to model trains) are welcomed? Have you thought through the possible ramifications of that?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"Big Rich Soprano" wrote

Possibly because advertising your eBay auctions on newsgroups is inherently dishonest?

Ya see; to sign up with eBay as a seller -or even as a buyer- you must formally agree to abide by eBay's rules, and one of the rules you agree to abide by says that you may not advertise your eBay auction on newsgroups, among other places.

While I'm not offended to find ads for trains on the group, the fact that these guys are knowingly breaking their word tells you something about them: they're not trustworthy. They don't think that rules should apply to them.

Would *you* enter into an online deal such as an eBay auction with someone who you already *knew* would bend the rules in his own favor? And would you do so knowing that eBay is notorious for letting dishonest sellers get away with all sorts of shenanigans?

I wouldn't.

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:476d6a5f$0$29848$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

You can help yourself, you know... Just filter on "eBay" in the subject line.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

SNIP HAPPENS

The S/N ratio improves if you also filter:

David Nebenzahl

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

I'm saying that the few who argue about weather a 10k resistor is in fact 10k of resistance have cluttered up ten fold more than an ebayer's ONE TIME post here. You guys go on and on about who is stupid and should - what did he say - foad - nice language by the way - create ten times the clutter here then any ONE TIME ebay post! I for one do want to know if Mrs McGuilicutty is selling her HO wash line and the prefab house that goes with it on ebay...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

The search engine on ebay is, well, flawed at best. I can search for something and change one letter and find 10 more of the same thing so if i had a big ticket item to sell you bet yer bippy i'd advertise here...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Thank you! Well said...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

On 12/23/2007 5:22 PM Big Rich Soprano spake thus:

Nope, doesn't work; most eBay auction posts don't have "eBay" in the subject line. Some don't even mention that word and use tiny URLs and stuff to disguise the link.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:476f1701$0$12416$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Then look for the other key word: FA or "For Auction". I'm not saying it's 100% effective, but those are pretty common subject line terms.

To me, the tinyURLs don't matter. They're in the body of the message, requiring it first to be downloaded before it can be filtered. It's just as easy to hit the "next thread" button and go on as it is to figure out why the message suddenly disappeared.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Promoting or advertising to buy, sell, or trade any product or service listed or located outside of any eBay property (eBay, Half.com, eBay Stores, eBay Express, etc.). Sellers may only promote their Store or Sellers Other Items list, not individual listings."

But note that it says "not permitted in the COMMUNITY CONTENT AREAS", not Usenet. Please show me otherwise if I'm wrong. I personally don't have a problem with the occasional railroad-related post, but not a steady stream from the same person.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

On 12/27/2007 9:40 AM Jerry spake thus:

It is against eBay policy, and is so stated in their rules. Problem is that those rules are buried somewhere on their site; someone posted a link to them here not too long ago, but I have no idea where they are. I've seen them, though, and they explicitly forbid postings to Usenet.

Enforcing them's another thing altogether. Rotsa ruck with that one. eBay basically doesn't seem to give a shit about their own rules, unless they perceive direct harm to their bottom line (like the warnings in email messages between members not to conduct business outside of eBay).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

=2E.. and now that I re-read that, I think they are saying you can't use their message boards to advertise something you are selling elsewhere (ie, not on ebay).

Reply to
Jerry