Furlow's latest in MR.

Reply to
Jon Miller

MR is well on its way to becoming the "People Magazine" of model railroading.

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:45:27 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (PEACHCREEK) wrote: 2000

I think they already made it.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

"PEACHCREEK"

Well on its way?

Given the skimpy written coverage on most articles, the amount of wasted white space on most pages, and the dependence on (Very nice) photos, I'd say it's already there.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

I was thinking more along the lines of "USA Today".

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Becoming? ...................F>

Pulp Fiction, GA

Reply to
froggy

Yes, it did, it did, it did, it did, it did!

Could you have picked up that nasty little Worm Virus going round this week?

David.

Reply to
David F.

I also enjoyed the photos. Mr Furlow always did great photography. I think his being an impressionistic painter influenced this work more than any of his other efforts.

I'm curious as to why you think his bearded face seems to indicate he likes to live in a world make believe?

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Yes, me too! Don't we all live in a world where we make believe out models are real or appear real?

Bearded Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

Just the Amer^h^h^h^hUnited Statesicans...

Jeff Sc. Snooty, Ga.

Don't bother to reply via email...I've been JoeJobbed.

Reply to
crosstie

When my MR subscription runs out, I'm thinking of asking my mother-in-law to get me Railmodel Journal or North Western Lines instead of re-upping me. That "Freight Cars of the Fifties" series was so a propos to my modeling. (Or was that in MRRing? RMJ sounds right). (The subscription was my birthday present last year.)

MR's good, but I see an over-reliance on photos. It's nice they have the press capability for those nice photos, but I rely on text, not some Tom, Dick & Jane picture book. Is that a "superior" attitude? They USED TO make a magazine like that. Well, as long as Happy Hobby has the big stacks of back issues, I'll keep buying them, albeit issues of 20-50 years ago.

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

In a way it always has been. Compared to even RMC, MR's cover stories have always been more "who" than "what". Mainline Modeler has had more covers with boats than with people :-)

MR also has had one and only one issue that had a person as the primary cover subject - not standing next to his layout, but seated in almost a portrait pose - the John Allen memorial issue - April, 1973 I believe.

The change in MR is that they seem to be trying to use the "celebrity" factor to sell magazines moreso than their work. Beldar has been on the job for almost a year now, and we are starting to see more of his influence. As usual though the magazine is still a mix of the good, the bad, and the indifferent. I always enjoy articles by Andy Sperandeo and Jeff Wilson which I hope will continue, and I also like to read Tony the K's column - his writing is entertaining and reveals the grinding gears of thought as well as the constantly shifting goals and methods of his NKP western lines project.

I actually believe the magazine still has a lot going for it, perhaps more than Beldar can destroy singlehandedly.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

For those of us a bit slow on the uptake could you explain the derivation of 'Beldar' please.

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Keith Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Beldar of ConeHead fame!? Killed the giant beast with an improvised golf club & ball. Then saved earth (his adopted home) by faking capabilities that earth didn't have.

Or maybe it's a different Beldar??

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Understood, Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Hey, each to his own.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

HEY!!!!

That's my normal benchwork!

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Yes, it is art. More of a characature than anything else, but still art. Kinda reminds me of what a beach-side artist did to my image once. Wife still cherishes the artwork, I still don't find it funny!

Reply to
Karl Bond

Have to put my 2 cents into the discussion about the Furlow layout. While I appreciate his great ability in modeling, I think the layout should have never been printed in MR. Everyone can have their own opinion as to what they want to model, but in no way, shape or form is his layout informative to me about model railroading. It looks like some form of comedy or set design for the theater. MR should stick the topic and the reasons we buy their magazine. Ed

Reply to
Edward Kahn