[HO] GBW 4065 / Funaro & Camerlengo model

Recently I picked up an undated photo of a unique GBW hopper #4065 from the collection of Stan Mailer. See this image:

(2.1 MB)

I don't have much background on this car, but information in the 8/91 Mainline Modeler says that these cars were acquired 10/24, ex-UGN. The back of my photo has handwriting "AFE 316K 7-12-24". The lettering and other clues leads me to believe that the image is from the late 1930s. What railroad was "UGN?" Should that have been "VGN"?

It's been pointed out that Funaro & Camerlengo has a "1919 Southern Wood Sealy Hopper" model of SOU 283331 (re:

which looks like a very close to this prototype.

I'm not familiar with the Southern's hoppers - is the F&C kit a match for a SOU prototype? (They have a reputation for prototype fidelity, so I'd assume so.)

More importantly, is the F&C hopper a close match for the GBW hopper image I referenced? It sure looks like it is - if there are differences you are aware of I'd like to hear what they are.

All comments are appreciated. Thanks. __________ Mark Mathu Whitefish Bay, Wis.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"I don't have much background on this car, but information in the 8/91 Mainline Modeler says that these cars were acquired 10/24, ex-UGN. The back of my photo has handwriting "AFE 316K 7-12-24". The lettering and other clues leads me to believe that the image is from the late 1930s. What railroad was "UGN?" Should that have been "VGN"?""

According to this website the VGN did have these cars.

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com spake thus:

Just an aside: if it was in /Mainline Modeler/, then it was undoubtedly a typo. Not just saying that to be a wiseass: I was their copy editor for a couple of years. They needed it badly then and now. It's a great magazine, but unfortunately Bob Hundman is next to illiterate, and that pretty much sets the tone for the whole mag. Pity, since they have such great content otherwise.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Mark, the F&C kit is a very accurate model of the Southern car. They also offered kits for the O&W and D&H Seley hoppers. I don't currently have any of these, but I have built some for a friend.

It should be a very close match. There is a photo in the 1922(?) Car Builder's Cyclopedia of the Southern car, which appears to be almost identical to the car in the photo you linked. The Seley composite hoppers were a proprietary design named after C.A. Seley, who was a mechanical officer with the N&W. As far as I'm aware they were all were built by AC&F, to very similar designs. I'd say that most of the differences would be in areas like the hardware - so I'd be inclined to use the Southern kit as is.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton