HOn3: Have I missed out? MDC #474?

I'm interested in devoting a spare bedroom to an HOn3 layout. A long time ago I built a HOn3 2-8-0 from MDC. It was the outside frame version. I'd like to get my hands on one again but I can't find any. What happened to MDC?

I'd like a list of sources for a decent K-27/37 type - not brass if I can avoid it. Also, does anyone make HOn3 code 40 track or am I in for a long (but fun) handlaying session?

Ken

-- Just my 2¢... 73 es gd dx de Ken KGØWX Grid EM17ip, Flying Pigs #-1055 Proud builder & owner of Elecraft K2 #4913

Reply to
Ken Bessler

MDC got bought out by one of these big holding companies and their status is uncertain at the moment, which is a damn shame because I need some of their freight trucks. You sometimes find 2-8-0 outside frame locos on Ebay but the prices are creeping up. If your interested in HOn3 try the Yahoo group

lots of useful stuff there.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

MDC/Roundhouse was bought by Horizon Hobbies, a distributor, which also bought Athearn. Horizon merged the two lines, and is reorganising, upgrading and re-issuing the models, some as Athearn and some as Roundhouse. It's not clear what will be reissued in the long run. In the short term, there will be no HOn3 items. The MDC diecast loco kits aren't available at present, but some hobby shops may still have some. Buy a recent Railroad Model Craftsman and Model Railroader, and contact likely looking shops. Good hunting!

Use Google. Try "HOn3 model K-27 K-37". Micro Engineering makes HOn3 track in several rail sizes.

BTW, you'll find lots of current info in recent issues of model magazines. :-) Try the "Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette." Small circulation and distribution, so you will have to hunt for it. Also, a current Walthers catalogue will list about 80% of what's available.

HTH&GL

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

is uncertain at the moment< Not exactly correct. MDC was bought by Horizon which is the distributor who bought Athearn.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Ken,

MDC was bought out by Horizon(also bought Athearn). All of the inventory/dies were moved to the Athearn site and the line is being revamped at this time. There has been no mention of what parts of the MDC line will survive. Someone mentioned the Walthers catalog. The current Walthers(2005)catalog has no Athearn or MDC in it as Horizon is the 'sole' distributor of both lines and Walthers appears to be locked out as a distributor. Looking around you LHS may find some of the engine kits, and eBay has them pop up from time to time. As far as code 40 flex track/switches? Micro Engineering has HOn3 flex track in code 40, code 55, & code 70. However they only market #6 HOn3 turnouts in code 55 at ths time.

Jim Bernier

Ken Bessler wrote:

Reply to
jrbernier