Horn does not work - Lionel set # 6-11972

I dug this set out of the closet today and set it up and the horn does not work. I tried switching the wires around on the track as per the instructions and
still no luck and yes the switch is in the on position on the bottom of the engine. HELP what and how to test next?
Thanks ChrisGW
ChrisGW wrote:

The transformer in that set, 77 watts input / 40 watts output, is not particularly durable. My guess would be that the horn/whistle circuitry has failed.
Try this to test the horn: temporarily wire a "D" cell battery in series with one of the 2 track leads/wires and see if the horn blows continuously when the power is turned on. If it doesn't, turn the battery around and try again. The horn should blow continuously with the battery in one of the two positions. If it doesn't, then the horn is at fault, most likely, and not the transformer.
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

Thank you. It turns out it is the sound board. Time to go spend more money.
ChrisGW