Hornby Repars

Hello Folks,

I am setting up my Horby HO sets for my kids, and have found that none of the trains work (they used to, about 15 years ago). Could you please recommend a site or book that would help me repair/clean/refurbish the trains? They are both diesel and steam.

My thanks.

Ajith

Reply to
The World News

Dan T

Following are possible effects of long storage:

a) corrosion of wheels and tracks b) oxidation of oils and greases in motor and gear train (turns lubriucants into varnish like stiff glop) c) corrosion of contacts (wipers) that pick up power from wheels d) corrosion of commutators in motors

The above can be fixed by careful cleaning, using suitable solvents and chemical cleaners - caution, read the labels first. A good hobby shop will have the needed supplies. This will also entail disassembling the engines so you can get at the gears and motor. Some abrasives may be needed to clean wheels and track. Following cleaning, lubricate sparingly, using plastic compatible oils and greases. Do _not_ use sewing machine, fishing reel, or 3-in-1 oils, etc - these are petroleum based, and will warp and destroy the plastic.

e) corrosion of soldered joints inside power pack (controller)

Repairing this entails opening the power pack, which you should not do if you don't have experience repairing electrical appliances. If the power pack won't produce power, it's probably safest to replace it - any HO power pack will do nicely, and the more expensive ones are much better than Hornby's (or any other train set power packs, which are low quality.)

f) warping and cracking of plastic parts by petroleum based lubricants

Sometimes warped and cracked plastic gears and gear boxes can be replaced with new parts -- if you can get them. Sometimes oil-induced damage to plastic parts is not repairable.

Good luck.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir